Which new iMac to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FrenchPB, Oct 21, 2009.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I'm very excited about the new Apple produts, and need an advice on what iMac configuration to choose from.

I use my desktop 3 hours a day, mostly working with basic iLife.iWork/Office apps, web browsing, or playing videos. The most CPU intensive activity I do is watch or encode 720p video files. I might even need to be able to play 1080p videos in the future.

My desktop will be plugged to my HDTV and has to be able to display flawessly very high quality videos on the TV. At this time, I have a mini-DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA cord to the TV, as well as a sound cord.

As a consequence, which new iMac configuration should I choose from ?
    - 21,5" (using it on a small desk at this time) or 27" (might be great to play videos while doing other stuff at the same time, which I do quite often ?)
    - 4 Go RAM or more ?
    - dual or quad core ?
    - ATI or nvidia...

Thanks for your help and advices.

Cheers :apple:

2. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Sounds like the 2nd tier 21" would suit your needs, esp as you already have a HDTV connected.

3. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

i think the lower tier might be fine enough, but if you have the money then 2nd tier imac 21.5 will be nice... i think the 27 could just be tooo big [​IMG]

4. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

I was a little bit scared about getting the 24" previously, so I can't imagine how big the 27" really is. I guess it has the same height, only a little bit wider but still ! It might look like having a TV on your desk...

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That would be my recommendation as well.