Which new iMac to get?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by benjamwes, May 7, 2013.

1. benjamwes, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013

benjamwes macrumors member

I'm looking at getting an iMac as I currently only have a crappy laptop, but am unsure which is the best option.
    I'd use it for video editing with Adobe CS6 (Premiere, After Effects...), a bit of gaming and general work.
    Also, I have have a budget up to about £1,400 , but can take advantage of apple's student pricing.

I was originally going to get a 21.5" iMac with an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM and 1TB Fusion Drive from an american website for cheap, but due to shipping and import taxes the equivalent of that at the apple shop is much higher (£1,662) so is out of my budget. Even dropping the i7 and going with an i5 still comes to £1,512.
    I missed a great opportunity to get a 27" iMac with an i5 processor, 16GB RAM and 1TB HDD (7200rpm) on eBay for £1,250 , and have found another 27" with a 3.4GHz i7 processor, 32GB RAM and 1TB HDD (7200rpm) for £1,400 , but no fusion drive.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should get?

I could always just go for 21.5" with 2.9GHz i5, 16GB RAM and 1TB HDD (5400rpm) for £1,350.

Thanks for any help! :)

Even the student prices are a lot for a 15 year old attending education! :p

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I'm stuck on what to suggest, but I do know you wouldn't be mad with the 27" screen. Since you're a video gamer and mess around in CS6, I feel getting the 21.5 incher would be regretful down the road.

3. benjamwes thread starter macrumors member

I'm not too bothered about the screen size, but I would like the fusion drive as well...
    Either way I'm going to get 16GB RAM (from apple if I get the 21.5", or from somewhere else if I get the 27"). Not sure if the graphics card affects much though.