Which New Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Psiman, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Psiman macrumors newbie

Currently I am in the IT industry but I am planning on going back to Uni. I need a new PC and frankly sick to the back teeth with Microsoft - So I am looking for a Mac. The problem is which one? I am really unfamiliar with the Mac performance so I am hoping for some advice here.

I know that I prefer a desktop. I will be using the PC to:
    1. Design a website
    2. Letters spreadsheets
    3. Presentations
    4. Browsing Internet/email/chat etc.
    5. Playing World of Warcraft!

What Mac do you recommend that will last me 3 years?

Also what software do you recommend for designing a website on a Mac?

Simon

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Odd question, because any mac is going to last at least that long, my computer is nearly that old now, and with a re-installed OS, it is working just like it was brand new.

If you want I desktop, I recommend an iMac. They are the mid-range desktop computer. They start at $999. I recommend no less then 512 mb of RAM, and if you can, 1 gb or more. Don't know what the base memory is for them now.

If you really want to start with an interesting mac, check out the mac mini. It has the intel core duo chip instead of the core 2 duo, but is very compact and can fit easily on a desk. There was speculation for a bit about it being discontinued, because of the lack of updates, ie: core duo instead of core 2 duo. also the price is $599. Some ppl believe that it is a niche market thing, but very cool, and doesn't take up a lot of room.

I also recommend spending the extra $79 for iWork. It comes with 2 apps, one for word processing, called pages, one for presentations, called front row. WoW works with Macs, it has for years, just install it and away you go.

3. basskiddanny macrumors newbie

I considered a Mac mini but I think they are probably underpowered for anything more than emails and word processing. I would look at the lowest priced Imac.

The Mini has some great advantages such as the size and noise (Ie not much of either). If you know somebody in Higher Education you can get a mini for about £330 or a little more, if they order it for you.

A Mac mini would not run WoW though.

4. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

Freeway and Rapidweaver has quite a few fans - as nichos says, there's quite a few options out there. Anything in particular you're looking for?

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would also reccomend iWork, and just as a corretion the presentation app is called keynote not frontrow.

7. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

d'oh... sorry about that. silly me, i need some more marbles in my bag some days!

8. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Some would argue iMacs are long overdue, as well. :)

9. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I would recommend an iMac for you since it best suits you. For designing a website what about Dreamweaver.

10. Psiman thread starter macrumors newbie

Selecting a new Mac

Thanks guys - I appreciate your comments. I need to check things out.

No one has suggested a Mac Pro - too much for my modest needs?

Simon

11. Jessy macrumors regular

Yes, it sounds like a Mac Pro is overkill for you. I can't even fathom keeping a computer for three years, but the differences between the product lines with a graphics card are not that large. You will pay a hefty premium for small performance gains, the higher up in the Apple lineup you go. I recommend an iMac, but if you go that route, do not get the cheapest one that is available currently. It doesn't have a dedicated graphics chip, and therefore, won't do you right when it comes to WoW.

My guess is that the iMacs will be updated next week, and any of those should be perfect for you. Wait until next Tuesday or the one after, whenever the new machines come out, and make your choice then. The cheapest one with a dedicated GPU is bound to be a killer machine.

Edit: The newest rumor points to a later release for the redesigned iMac. Postpone the purchase if you can, but if you need a Mac now, get any iMac other than the cheaper 17" model.

12. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

For most of the stuff you've mentioned, probably any Apple system would work. But for games on a desktop, I'd go with either the highest-end iMac with a Geforce 7600GT (or actually wait for an update hopefully soon), or get a Mac Pro, which can hopefully be upgraded (depending on what video cards are available.

I think Intel's hideous graphics actually WILL run World of Warcraft, but not well, and of course you're cutting yourself off from future games. So the Mini (or Macbook) would be out because of that.