Which new Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bemidjiboy, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Bemidjiboy macrumors newbie

Hey gang,
    I'm upgrading all the electronics in the house - imac, printer, storage, etc. Going to get my first Apple TV and I suspect I should get a new router as well. In addition, we have a Macbook Pro, one iPhone, 3 iPods, and two iPads. Any suggestions for a router? I don't know the difference between Airport Express and Airport Extreme. Time Capsule seems just like an Extreme with a hard drive attached for wireless backups. Not necessarily wedded to Apple offerings. I currently have an old Linksys 2.4GHz, 54Mbps. I should note that I live in the country and don't worry about other router interference or security in that context. Thanks for any advice!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Basic feature comparison here:

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

Extreme has a 4-port GbE switch built in, and will handle a shared external disk. They imply better range as well but in the fine print they're comparing range with "Apple's 802.11g products", i.e. with older versions not with the current Express.

I have the Extreme and it works great. The current (June 2011) version is in the refurb store for $139, versus $85 for a refurb current Express:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Give the site Small Netbuilder a look. They have very comprehensive router reviews. If you are not wedded to Apple routers, the Asus RT-N66U is very popular.

4. theBostonian Suspended

I'd personally recommend the Asus rt-n66u which has an incredible range and is feature packed.

It also comes with a three year warranty. Have a look on amazon, it's got very favourable reviews.

5. Bemidjiboy, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

Bemidjiboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Extreme vs. Express?

Thanks guys. Was going to ask about Extreme vs. Express, then read your note more carefully. I'll check them out. So, if I have this correctly, we can, for example, plug the router in the basement somewhere and attach a hard drive to it that my new, wireless, imac upstairs can use as a (time machine) backup? If that's right, then that's what Apple is trying to do with the Time Capsule.... I do worry about two functions in one unit with that latter option.

6. thehustleman macrumors 65816

I have the airport extreme and that thing flies.

I found it on eBay for 140 new so I jumped at it.

Time capsule is even better

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine backup to an external disk attached to an Airport Express or Extreme is not supported. You can read more in this thread.

If you want to backup wirelessly, the Time Capsule is your best option.