Which (newer) OS X for 2008 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MP3.1, Jun 12, 2013.

1. MP3.1 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm currently still running Snow Leopard on my 2008 Mac Pro (2x2.8Ghz, 14Gb RAM, all HDD's, AMD HD5770) and want to upgrade my OS X to something newer (mostly because of compatibility with Lightroom 5).

I'm a bit worried that stuff will slow down when I upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion. The OS is currently running like a charm (I know, all things are relative.. :) ). I mainly use my MP for photo editing and the occasional time lapse creation.

Safe to upgrade to Mountain Lion? Or will I notice significant speed drops Safari wise, loading programs etc.?

Thanks a lot!

2. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

My reco is to buy another harddrive, and do a clean install. if you like it, great. if you dont, change your startup volume.

i can't recommend *ever* getting rid of a system that works. Backups!

3. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

If you are going to purchase Lightroom 5, see if they have a 30 day free demo.
    Try it with 10.6.8 before moving to 10.7 or 10.8
    Avid started writing Media Composer 6 with 10.6.8 because 10.7 was not out. But when MC6 was released the minimum requirement was listed as 10.7! :confused:
    Knowing this I knew 10.6.8 would work with MC6!

4. clamnectar macrumors regular

I'm running ML on the same computer as you, and it's excellent. Certainly no slower than SL. Possibly faster. I wouldn't think twice about upgrading if you need to.

5. Danboard macrumors member

Running Mountain Lion on my Early 2008 Mac Pro. Runs really smooth with no problems. I have Lightroom as well and I have not encountered any problems with it. You probably will experience the same should you choose to upgrade.

6. stjames70 macrumors member

Mountain Lion

My computer is identical to yours, but running 10.8.4.

No issues, and running like a charm. I got four 960gb Crucial M500s running hardware RAID 0 in that machine clocked at 2000 MB/s. It is also running a Nvidia Titan card. I love the new form factor of the upcoming Mac Pro, but it makes me wonder why I really need to upgrade at all to the new Mac Pro.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Why now, if you can have 10.9 in a few months? Mavericks has better ColorSync and display support, newer drivers, supports OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 1.2 and so on.

8. GraniteTheWolf macrumors 6502

+1

I also am running Mountain Lion on my early 2008 2.8ghz 8-core mac pro. No issues at all!

9. sailmac macrumors 6502

sailmac

+1 more

I'm running 10.8.4 on a MP 3,1
    12GB
    2 SSDs (boot and scratch)
    4 HDDs (1 pair RAID0 users, 1 TimeMachine, 1 nightly clone)
    eSATA card docks 2 more drives when needed
    external BT antenna mod

I'm finding ML to be every bit as stable as SL. The UI changes and a few other quirks took a short time to become second nature, but now I believe I'm actually become more productive in my work flows.

You could wait till Mavericks is available, but unless you are a fan of x.0 or x.1 releases you might be waiting 6 months for something comfortable to land. In the meantime, spend the relatively small price for ML and whatever updates to your favorite software and enjoy the benefits available today.

I don't think you'll experience any drops in app performance; instead, mainly gains.

If by chance something does feel slow, you could add a SSD drive for boot. That makes a noticeable difference no matter which OS you're on.

10. MP3.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all! I'll go ahead and give it a try. Will install it on a new drive and keep my current bootdrive in case I want to go back (probably not reading your comments).