Which non-Apple routers Play Nice for WDS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by milenkod, Nov 20, 2008.

1. milenkod macrumors member

I want to extend my network, particularly my Xbox and DirecTV to another wireless router using "N" speeds. Which non-Apple routers will play nice with my AEBS?

I need to be able to maintain "N" speeds between the slave router and the AEBS. I will eventually expand other clients hard-wired to the slave router....like a media box or NAS.
    I've been eying the D-Link DIR-655 as I understand it has the same WiFi chipset and the AEBS...thus compatibility. Any suggestions or advice?

2. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Just so you know, when you set up multiple routers using WDS, your network speed will decrease. Depending on the setup, it will probably even decrease below "N" data transfer speeds. If maintaining "N" speed is truly important to you, you'll have to set the slave router in AP mode and connect it via a network cable to the AEBS. This way you get a signal extension and no speed decrease. The only downside is that you must connect both routers with a cable.

A run an Airport Express with an old Linksys WRT54G w/DD-WRT firmware in WDS. I don't really notice any speed loss, but it's only running in "G". You might notice it with "N".

3. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

Crap! will it at least achieve 130 m speed?

4. OptyCT macrumors 6502

There are so many factors involved that it's really impossible to tell. My recommendation would be to pick up an "N" router that is compatible with the DD-WRT third-party firmware. That way, you'll know it's WDS capable. Try hooking it up and then see what kind of speeds you're getting. Just make sure that you can return the router for a full refund.

Here's a link to devices that are supported by DD-WRT:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Make sure that the router you get is compatible with the full DD-WRT program and not just the "Micro" version.

5. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

Just out of curiosity...what's the chipset int he AEBS?

6. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind...Atheros

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Keep in mind that every manufacturers idea of what "N" should be is different since the spec isn't final. Also WDS has variations from one manufacturer to the next oddly enough. To keep the network in peak performance it is ideal to use the same manufacturer for each router.