Which northbridge heatsink? [Pics]

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by maxp, Nov 5, 2011.

?

Cooler heatsink?

1. 'Block' style heatsink

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 'Flower' style heatsink

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. maxp macrumors member

My mac pro 1.1 northbridge is constantly 70 deg C plus, so i've got two replacement heatsinks.

Which one do we think will be cooler, the 'block' or the 'flower'?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

None of them will fit. They have too high fins. Did you see original one (and how it's profiled)? It's this bigger one, partially covered by memory cage. Only similar will fit. It also has temp sensor built-in so you'd need to transfer it to replacement heatsink. Too much hassle IMO.

My advice: remove original heatsink, polish it as much as you can (its contact surface isn't perfectly finished) and replace thermal paste with high performance one. I did it with mine and temps lowered by few degs C.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I'd ask also, who cares if the NB temp is up a little bit? I sure hope you aren't trying to overclock this system to the point where the north bridge temps are a problem.

Also, finding a way to mount a small fan that will increase the airflow to the current nb cooler will do a lot to help the temps.

4. maxp thread starter macrumors member

As per another post on this forum, ive just bought a sata to molex power adapter and plan to velcro a fan to the removable panel of the case.