Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Today I saw someone taking handwritten notes on his iPad using a stylus and a note taking APP. I bought a stylus and while searching the best note taking app on the web, I realized what could be very useful.

I am a lawyer and I defend people in traffic court. During the actual hearing I use the client's manilla folder to draw a map of the location where they got the traffic ticket, and to check off the points the officer must say in his testimony to make his case. I end up with a list, check marks and a relatively crude map/diagram of an intersection and the placement of cars, signs, the officer, etc.; all on the inside of a manilla folder.

I want to find either one or two apps which will allow me to import a computer aided map/diagram and list in PDF form. I'll then be able to draw over the outlined map, and to use the stylus to check off items and place objects, etc. I'd then save the PDF in a new file, saving the original as a template of sorts, to use over and over again for each hearing. (any idea which APPS to use?)

In addition to the annotations I would want to replace the paper pad I use to jot down random notes, people to call, etc, with notes taken and saved on the iPad. I'd want to be able to easily sort and search for them. If this simple note taking could be done with the same APP which I use to annotate the PDF, GREAT! If not, I'd gladly purchase two apps to accomplish what I need.

Thanks for your help - Steven

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Does UPAD "Save As?"

UPAD looks really good as it combines the annotation with the note taking. If I annotate a document, can I use a "Save As" as if it were a template? I'd want to keep the original unannotated, so I can use it over and over again.

gcastell

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
uPad let's you create templates but they need to be images, I've done a couple of them, is relatively easy to do.

Note Taker HD can annotate PDF and create templates from PDF but the UI is kind of weird, I prefer uPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.