Which notebook for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by goatgotmac, May 2, 2014.

1. goatgotmac macrumors newbie

Firstly, I'm sorry there's a ton of topics about this kind of thing, however my situation is different to what I've read.

Currently on an early 2008 MBP 15". Last legs is an understatement. Time for a refresh.

- It will mostly sit on my desk, occasionally moving to be bed or sofa.
    - I use it for personal use outside of work: web stuff, movies, and light Photoshop.
    - I will probably want to play the new Civilization game on it when it comes.
    - Mostly want smooth performance and very quick loading for the above tasks.

I'm buying this week. MBA (decided on a 13") or MBP Retina?

I've already settled on 8GB RAM. But which processor?

Thank you in advance for your input.

goatgotmac

PS - Just noticed the last time I posted on these forums was when I bought my MBP in 2008!

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. goatgotmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Not limited. Just want the best product for my needs, and hoping it lasts 6 years like this one.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Well if you put it like this then just get a 13" rmbp maxed out, because you are not traveling much with it.
    This is if you have an unlimited budget.
    For your needs any current macbook will be fine.

5. goatgotmac thread starter macrumors newbie

You're probably right. I think the mid-range rMBP is the one for me.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thats the one i got :) its the best bang for the buck.
    Still, if your budget is unlimited there is no reason not to go max.

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I would get any entry level MacBook with at least the 256K SSD. If you want 8GB RAM, then get it paired with any of the i5 models.

Whether you go MBA or rMBP is up to you. Photos may look better on the rMBP. Everything will work fine on either model.

8. Khabbi macrumors member

The only reason I bought a MBA is because I travel a lot with a computer and need portability and lightweight, if you don't need that (IE, you don't travel) then get the rMBP 13" with the better processor and memory and call it a day.

The whole purpose of the Air is compactness/portability/lightweight, NOT performance. I want the best performance for my main computer at home (rMBP).

Just my humble opinion, of course. :)

9. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Not sure why people still say the MBA is more compact than the rMBP.

My 13" rMBP has a smaller footprint than my wife's MBA. The thickness is negligible. That just leave the 0.5 pounds difference in the weight.

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I was about to say the same thing. 0.5 pounds is negligible, and the rMBP is smaller (except at the end, but I like the box design better than a wedge.)

11. Khabbi macrumors member

I guess I should have clarified my post, I picked the 11" MBA for my travel computer, not the 13". I would agree that if you must have the 13", you might as well go for the rMBP.

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Oh. The 11" is the ultimate travel notebook I'll agree. I really don't see a reason to get the 13" Air over Retina right now. The Retina is better in nearly all regards until Apple somehow differentiates the two.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

We have the 13" rmbp and mba at home.
    While the footprint on the rmbp is smaller, the mba is significantly lighter and thinner.
    I would much rather travel with a mba than a rmbp.

14. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Coming from the 7+ pound 17" Late 2010 MBP, the 13" rMBP is a godsend to travel with. ;)

And my wife went from a 5-6 pound 15" Dell to a 13" Mid 2012 MBA.

We both love our respective machines. :D