Which Notebook To Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iIncepted, Oct 24, 2010.

1. iIncepted macrumors newbie

Hi,

I had switched from windows to mac 2 and half years ago. I am now looking to buy a new macbook as my old's logic board is not working. I dont have APP, so buying a new one sounds a better option. I am confused between the options available. I really like Air, but because it doesnt have an ethernet port its putting me off. I am not too fussy about the optical drive, but ethernet port is main one.

My basic requirements are Numbers, Pages & keynotes. Besides that watching movies and obv sufring. So for these, i believe macbook is enough. Also I dont want anything above 13".

I am not too concerned about the budget right now, so can look into all the options. Pls help to make me understand why Pro or AIr would be a better choice than macook.

Really appreciate any help,

Thx

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much do you need portability? What MBA would you get? You can get USB Ethernet Adapter so the lack of Ethernet shouldn't be an issue.

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Those are also a lot cheaper elsewhere. May need to fuss with drivers a bit though. Sounds like the MBA is a good choice for you if you're willing to pay more for portability. SSD would be a huge benefit for going MBA as Apple's options are much more expensive in other notebooks.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Go with the white macbook or 13" macbook pro. The difference in function and speed is really small, go with the one that you think "looks" the best.

5. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

I would go Macbook Air and just buy an ethernet to usb adapter. This computer will perform very well for your needs. Carrying around the adapter won't be much because they are so small.

6. iIncepted thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the suggestions. My mind is now more set on the new Air due to its portability. I need to carry it everyday frm office to work, so I guess that would be a good option.

Now there is another issue, I was talking to a guy yesterday and he said that to wait for 4months as they will be coming out with a new model (speculating). Even one day of using windows is becoming pain, I have no idea if I shall wait for that long.

7. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Don't worry, I highly doubt it, they just updated it. I have never heard anyone else say that before.

8. toxic macrumors 68000

the Air's selling point is really flash memory. the drawback is that Apple must service it, and you can't upgrade anything down the road since everything's soldered to the motherboard.

I would get a Macbook or base Macbook Pro in your case. it's not like they're a pain to carry around...

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If the movies are on DVDs, you don't want the Air. If you want to use the remote control, only the Pro has an IR receiver.

The Pros are the only ones with backlit keyboards, which are nice if you want to use the computer in the dark.

The Pro has a better display quality than the MacBook. The Air has more pixels (I don't know about quality, though).