Which NVIDIA version?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canuckistan, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

Hello:

I am confused as to which MBP 15" model to buy... the base 2.4 GHz or the faster, more expensive 2.5 GHz.

I'm not a gamer and don't expect to be watching too many DVDs on the MBP, but I do hope to use Aperture and perhaps Photoshop to organize and edit digital photographs.

I do intend to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM and the 7200 rpm drive.

Now to the question...

Do I need the 512 MB NVIDIA of the 2.5 GHz MBP, or will the 256 MB NVIDIA of the 2.4 GHz version suffice?

I don't want to spend an extra $500 but I don't want to regret buying the less powerful version.

Many thanks.

2. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

If you aren't going to be playing games go with the 256MB. There really isn't that huge of a difference anyway. It really only helps with the very demanding games.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

The 2.4 and 256 should be fine for what your gonna do.

ChrisN

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I read somewhere (can't remember where, so it would be nice if someone could confirm it) that most games generally don't utilize more than 256 VRAM anyway , so if this holds true, only morons buy the most expensive MBP :)

5. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

Pretty sure I've seen several posts here stating that the GPU in a MBP is not powerful to fully utilise the full 512 memory so that the difference in performance was minimal.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You said you don't play games, so a video card is out of the equation. However you stressed PS and Aperture, so get a lots of RAM.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think either model will work for you...my rule of thumb is to get the most powerful model I'm willing to pay for, since I tend to keep my computers for 5 years or so.