which o2 plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattpreston11, Jun 30, 2008.

1. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

will you be getting?

Im going for contact as the upfront pay and go price is too much for me and the pay and go tariffs are not very good from what i have seen (for me)

i am planning on going on the £30 a month tariff with the £7.50 unlimited texts bolt on as i send quite a few texts (more than 500 a month)

I plan on getting the 8gb model black although i could be swayed by the 16gig.

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I'm going for the £35/mo.

I'm fortunate to have discount from a friend who works for o2, so my monthly bill is reduced to a reasonable £24.50/mo.

Without the discount, I would of gone for the new £30/mo tarrif.

I plan to pick-up a 16Gb model on the 11th.

R-Fly

3. mattpreston11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Vereina macrumors member

My original plan was to get the 16Gb on the £35 pcm contract. However, after thinking about how I am likely to use the 'phone, I have concluded that PAYG (with a £10-£12 monthly top-up which, if the details that were briefly on the O2 website last week are correct, will give 100s of minutes from a nominated location) will be £60 or more cheaper than the £35 contract over 18 months.

The point is that most of the outgoing calls I make are from a single location (my office). I will use the iPhone most for data, only making outgoing calls from other locations on a few days each month (hence the relatively low top-up needed). I am much too old to ever do texts .... :D

Take a look at page 10 of this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=505874

Tony H. has made a really useful tool to compare costs. One of the key points is that the PAYG costs are very sensitive to how many days you make calls (as the tariff seems to be 25p for the first 3 mins each day, followed by 5p for subsequent mins). So, for me, PAYG looks like a no-brainer. But if you make calls (or texts) from many locations most days each month, monthly contract is almost certain to be the better option.

This thread has a short explanation of what I have concluded:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=507751

Hope this helps!

5. Juo100 macrumors regular

If you pick the £30/Month plan can you upgrade to a higher plan later on without starting the 18th month contract again? I only really want the unlimited internet at the moment, then id like to upgrade when I get to university so I can get extra minuets and texts.

Also does anyone know is the prices are tax inclusive?

6. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

Hi there
    I'm going for the £30 a month one also and will change up if I find I need £35 .. I've already checked with O2 that you can change tariff anytime (as long as it's upward!!) ..
    I have an email into O2 at the moment asking if the £35 per month tariff qualifies for a free bolt-on .. it says on the website that any tariff with 600 minutes does qualify for a free bolt-on and it doesnt say anywhere that the iPhone isn't included ..

Just waiting for it all to START already! lol .. I didnt get the edge iPhone because I knew they'd go 3G eventually but have been craving this thing since Jan 2007 and that first announcement!!!

Loopy

7. Vereina macrumors member

I would be extremely surprised if O2 were not prepared to take more money from you .... :D

To be serious:

It's a fair question. But I really would be quite surprised if this were not possible.

8. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

You can upgrade no problem - there may be restrictions on downgrading (so you can't get £45/mo and a free phone for one month, then drop to £30/mo).

9. Juo100 macrumors regular

I did a similar service upgrade with Orange, went from paying £19/month to £25/month, they didn’t make me start a new contract.

I do understand that you cant go any lower though :p

The highest plan ill pay for is £35/month. On that I’m wondering if the 600 minuets will be overkill for me.

Hopefully o2 will release some information that will answer my questions soonish.

10. Project macrumors 68020

I'm getting the £45 plan to get the cheap upgrade to a 16GB version, and then moving down to £35 after 9 months

11. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Assuming you *can* downgrade after 9 months... that'll save you precisely £10!

Lot of effort for such a saving IMO.

12. Juo100 macrumors regular

Its also hard to trust anyone, If I go into the carphone warehouse on July 11th and ask can I downgrade they will probably say "sure" then blame it on incompetence later on when I actually want to, but am informed that’s not possible.

Otherwise id do exactly the same and milk o2 for the extra minuets.

Carphone Warehouse is the local store and I dont have a car so getting to an o2 store in the morning on July 11th isn't possible (otherwise id be avoided it)

13. philgilder macrumors 68000

you save £10, but also get twice as many minutes
    well worth it

can you show me where it says you can do this, i looked at o2 T&Cs but couldnt see it. thanks

14. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

If you're not using the minutes (which seems likely since you're planning to drop to the £35 tariff anyway) then its no gain. Free minutes are only worth anything if you use them.

For some switching tariffs makes sense, but in general they'd be doing it because of changing circumstances like going to college etc. rather than a predetermined plan.

9 months appears to be the minimum:
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/FAQ?category=Tariff+questions&question=FAQ_CAN_I_CHANGE_MY_PAY_MONTHLY_TARIFF

15. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I'm going to go for the £45 contract. I am planning on getting the 8GB, so doing this will save me paying anything up front. I don't mind paying more over 18 months. That is a long time, so any savings or extra costs, IMO, will not be noticed really. But not paying £99 on 11th will be. And, that will also get me more minutes. Thats my plan anyway. Can't wait.

16. alFR macrumors 68020

The extra minutes/texts you get for only another £5 makes the £30 tariff look pretty pants compared to the £35 one IMHO. I'd just go for the £35 if I were you.

17. Project macrumors 68020

The point is that it's cheaper, plus you get more minutes. So why not? Doesn't even matter if you use them or not, its always good to have them there just in case.

18. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's rare that the £30 tariff makes sense, especially if the PayG is available. OTOH if you're only calling for a few minutes a month and want to be on a contract then it's a reasonable saving. Once your calling minutes get high enough though the £35 is better value.

19. Project macrumors 68020

The joys of upselling.

Pretty smart of them to put the £30 option in there.

20. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I'm currently on the £35/month tariff and I am thinking that that is where I want to stay. However I am tempted to move to the £45/month just because I then get an 8Gb for free.

Not sure if I will use the extra minutes each month though. Probably not.

21. alFR macrumors 68020

I dunno - I'd have though most people would go for the £35 even with the £30 there as the £30 is crap enough that effectively it isn't a viable choice for most people. Makes the £30 a bit redundant in my book, but there we go.

22. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

For some people, 125 texts and 75 minutes is enough for one month.

In these cases, the £30 should be there.

It's not for me personally - I need at least 300 texts to even consider a plan, hence going for the £35/mo plan on the 11th.

R-Fly

23. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Well it makes a good headline 'from' price (although they should perhaps have made it 29.99 :p), and if they don't plan on rolling out the PayG immediately low users* who dont plan to wait will be taking that up instead.

Also it gives a nice baseline if you want to end your contract early eg. after 12 months if you've switched to that tariff first it'll only cost £180.

* Less than 100 landline minutes (or 160 texts) a month. Anything above that the £35 is cheaper.

24. alFR macrumors 68020

Fair points, although I doubt O2 look on it as a "get out of your contract early on the cheap" option. :)

25. philgilder macrumors 68000

on o2 payg, topping up £10 a month gives you 300 free texts.
    then, the £10 is used for calls, giving you 40 minutes of calls - but if your call is over 3 minutes, anything after 3 minutes - for the entire day - costs 5p instead of 25p
    so the £30 option sucks!