Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DUNCVILLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
So I've got some disposable cash and I want a new (my first) mbp. First mac ever. I've got no idea what i need, and I'm interested to see if anyone thinks there is one particular model/configuration of the 13-15 inch versions. (not interested in 17).

Just trying to work out which gives most bang for my buck.

Really appreciate som advice from you!

Nano2k

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Europe
I just got my first Mac too (MBP 15), I also have more of a Windows PC background ^^ This MBP 15 was an offer I could not refuse otherwise I would have gotten a MBP 13.

The cheapest MPB 13 is probably the best bang for the buck, you can easily and cheaply upgrade the HDD and memory (2gb is probably enough if you dont do intensive graphic work).

The only advantage of the MBP 15 is the bigger screen and that you can have a more powerful graphic chip (for gaming, but which will still suck compared to a good desktop card). The 9400m of the MBP 13 can do all you need plus a little basic gaming, if you need a bigger screen, you can buy an adapter and use a regular "cheap" LCD screen.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The best value for you depends on your particular needs. However, I'd save your money for the upcoming revision to the line--the best value for any computer occurs just after its updated. This is likely going to come in January or February.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
I recently bought a Mattbook Unibody 15" and absolutely love it. Unbelievably light and thin considering how powerful it is.

Nano2k

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Europe
I recently bought a Mattbook Unibody 15" and absolutely love it. Unbelievably light and thin considering how powerful it is.

Yes but its a lot of extra money for the 15 if you don't really need the screen size and it does take quite some space.

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
The best value for you depends on your particular needs. However, I'd save your money for the upcoming revision to the line--the best value for any computer occurs just after its updated. This is likely going to come in January or February.

I think MBP 13.3'' is best if you plan to take it with you to places and around house. U can always hook up to a larger TV.
Now im debating to hold off from buying the MBP 13.3'' in a few weeks and wait for the upcoming revisions. I just think they will be more money when first released then buying the high end MBP 13.3'' model right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.