Which of the following apps work on Snow Leopard...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mdee4, Jun 14, 2009.

1. mdee4 macrumors regular

I want to upgrade to Snow Leopard from Tiger 10.4.11. But I want to know which of the apps I have will work on Leopard to be sure that I want to upgrade.

Which of these apps work on Snow Leopard???...
    * means I need this app to work in order for me to upgrade, so tell me if these apps with this mark don't work on Snow Leopard!!!

*1. 1password
    *2. Adobe Media Player, photoshop CS4, Premier Pro CS4 (works)
    *3. AIM
    4. ClamXav (works)
    5. DisApeAr
    *6. Divx PLayer
    *7. Dot.Tunes, Dot.Tunes HookUp
    8. Flip4Mac (works)
    *9. GimmeSomeTune
    10. Internet Cleanup
    *11. iSquint
    *12. Little Snitch (works)
    13. MP3 Trimmer
    *14. PulpMotion
    *15. Screencap
    16. Sponge
    17. Spring Cleaning
    *18. Stuffit Deluxe
    *19. VisualHub (works)
    *20. VLC (works)
    21. Windows Media Player
    *22. WireTap Studio

So which of these apps work on Snow Leopard, is what I want to know??????

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You mean right now, with the developer beta?

SL is still awhile away, and then most apps will have caught up to it, if not at least by the end of the year.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

If they all work in Tiger, then there's a 99.99% chance they will work (and most I know are working) in Leopard, therefore they will be able to run in Snow Leopard no problem.

While they may not take advantage of all of (Snow) Leopard's features, they will still run just fine.

You can do your own research for every little third party app to see if the developers have any notes on Leopard compatibility.

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

If they work in Leopard the work in Snow Leopard. Do some research to see if they work in leopard.
    BTW why DiVX and Media PLayer and VLC? VLC plays anything on t eh face of the earth.

5. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

Ohhh yea true that... I didn't even think that I don't need divx or media player since VLC plays all those files anyway ha

6. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Thanks guys. Yea I meant to say just Leopard.

But do you guys think it is worth to upgrade to Leopard, iLife, and iWork for $169 from Apple???

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If it doesn't work on Snow Leopard as soon as it comes out, it'll be updated within a month. Don't sweat it.

I can certify that 2, 4, 8, 12, 19, and 20 work on Leopard. I do have to ask, though, why you would use AIM instead of iChat or Adium. You shouldn't need both Flip4Mac and Windows Media Player, and Stuffit Deluxe is a program best forgotten. I've certainly done my best to repress those painful memories.

Anyone who still uses the .sit format these days should be shot. .sitx is even worse.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No. Leopard removed support for certain very old protocols. Some apps that work ok in Tiger does not work in Leopard or SL.

9. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

Wait so does Stuffit Deluxe work on Leopard??? If not what should I use on Leopard to unrar .rar files???

10. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

I use AIM because it is basic and thats what I started off using before I knew about iChat so I just stuck with AIM. What would make me want to switch to iChat instead of using AIM?

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes.

I use The Unarchiver. It's free, and not a resource hog like StuffIt.

I don't know. I don't use iChat either.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

FYI, VLC is a terrible media player, as it was never intended to be a media player in the first place.

13. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok yea I noticed that ha. I just stick with Quicktime Pro mainly and some other plug-ins

14. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Yes, but the libdvdcss libraries included in VLC are useful to get the most of other Apps, such as the most recent version of Handbrake.

(plus it's free and it's open source, if that whets your whistle).

15. imlaughlin macrumors newbie

Internet Cleanup 5 crashes OS 10.5 continually

Date: 2009-09-12: Internet Cleanup 5 started crashing my 2009 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6 from the first time I loaded it three weeks ago, to present. Recommend don't put it on your machine running 10.6. It will drive you up the wall.

(Previous internet Cleanup versions I ran on older Mac operating systems didn't cause problems.)

Also, when Apple loads updates, such as to itunes and OS, when I restart the machine it says some software is incompatible.