Which of the specs do I upgrade to get faster performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caddy, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Caddy macrumors member

So my specs are in my sigline. Like I said, this is a temporary computer that will be given to my dd in a few months. Once I get the hang of things, I know I will be itching to move onto a fast machine. She's only nine but I still want it to move faster. We have PC laptops which are recent, so the slow down here is perceptible even to a child, I imagine.

I don't want to sink a bunch of cash into a budget laptop or else I would have just shot for the starts to begin with. If I throw some more RAM in (from where and how), will this make the machine move faster? I don't want to install more memory--to expensive. I should have Tiger installed, rather than Puma by the weekend's end.

TIA.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I would max the ram which should help a little in performance, but don't expect any more then that.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Installing Jaguar or Panther would probably speed it up quite a bit, if you could get them for free. Honestly though, that machine is gonna be really slow no matter what you do to it, so I wouldn't put more than a few bucks into it.

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

The ONLY way to significantly speed this computer up is to run OS 9 on it. It will feel fairly snappy and quick with that (but surfing the net won't feel super quick especially with flash content.)

5. Caddy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks much.

The problem with running OS 9, or even my own OS (PUMA) is that I can't, for the life of me, get a decent browser! The only thing that seems to be working is IE version 5! I can't even log into chase.com. That's why I am moving to Tiger. Like I said, I'll probably give this to my dd pretty soon and take the plunge on a macbook. Need a few months to save, though. It was running tiger last night. Like you said, it wasn't fast, but tolerable!