Which Of These 13" MacBook Pros Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jerlane, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Jerlane macrumors newbie

Hi, here is another "which MBP should I get" thread. I will just be using it for typical home use, Internet, some documents, some video, no gaming, and I may try to store some movies on it if Toast really works. I'd like to have a decent movie library to put movies on my iPad.

I'm looking at three models at B&H Photography. Two are the October models and one is from the most recent release. Resale value in 4-5 years is a small consideration. I am just now replacing my old MacBook from 2007.

1. MD313LL/A $1049.00
    Product Highlights
    2.4GHz Intel Core i5 Dual-Core
    4GB of DDR3 RAM
    500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
    Intel HD 3000 Graphics
    13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy Display
    1280 x 800 Native Resolution
    Slot-Loading SuperDrive
    802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
    FaceTime HD Camera, Built-in Microphone
    Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (64-bit)

2. MD314LL/A $1199
    Product Highlights
    2.8GHz Intel Core i7 Dual-Core
    4GB of DDR3 RAM
    750GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
    Intel HD 3000 Graphics
    13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy Display
    1280 x 800 Native Resolution
    Slot-Loading SuperDrive
    802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
    FaceTime HD Camera, Built-in Microphone
    Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (64-bit)

3. MD101LL/A $1138.95
    Product Highlights
    Intel Core i5 Dual-Core 2.5 GHz CPU
    Internal 4GB DDR3 RAM
    Features 500GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
    Intel HD 4000 Graphics
    LED-Backlit 13.3" (33.8 cm) Display
    Native 1280 x 800 Resolution
    Wireless 802.11n WiFi & Bluetooth 4.0
    Dual USB 3.0 Ports & Thunderbolt Port
    May Ship with OS X Lion or Mountain Lion

It seems like option number two is the best bang for the buck, but I'm not quite sure if the ivy bridge processor is that big of an upgrade to make up the difference in processor speed.

Also, can I replace the RAM easily like on my old MB or is it more complicated on the Pro? I am planning on buying AppleCare since it is only $95 through BH.

Thanks in advance!

2. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

My choices:

2: Bigger hard drive and i7.
    3: Just because Intel 4000 and if you need it: USB 3.
    1: Nothing good about this compared to 3 and 2.

3. Jerlane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I guess I don't know a whole lot about USB 3. Is that something that an average user is going to benefit from much in the next four years?

4. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Oh sorry, I didn't read first two paragraphs of yours.
    Considering that you do not do any programming/adobe stuff/gaming, I say you should go with third one.
    It is last and current generation, Intel 4000 will be better, i5 will produce less heat and 2.5GHz still good. USB 3 will help you get better speeds on external hard drives / flash drives. It probably will ship with Mountain Lion or code of it, which goes -20$ down. You could put it towards RAM upgrade to 8gigs or SSD later.

5. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Definitely go with the 2012 base model. I am using it right now. It is a great machine, and even though everyone tells you that you can't game on it, they're wrong. I get better framerates on this thing than I did on my Late 2009 iMac with dedicated GPU. The 4000 rocks. You can always make up the storage inequity with a DIY install of a bigger HDD or replace your optical drive with one (or an SSD for speed).

I use this computer for programming, routine mail/banking/surfing, and gaming. It excels at all three.

6. Jerlane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the opinions. It's looking like the latest version is the winner.

I have one more question about AppleCare and the genius bar. Will they still help me set up my new MBP if I don't have one-on-one? I want to sync up all of my devices, calendars, etc as efficiently as possible and I don't think I had things set up optimally on my old MacBook. I'm planning on buying from BH photo so one-on-one is not an option, but I do plan on buying AppleCare.

7. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

3 > 2 > 1

Definitely go with the 2012 model - the slight decrease in CPU power is more than made up for by a huge increase in GPU power. Plus you get the latest Bluetooth and USB standards. The only thing you really lose out on is the larger hard drive, but you can always upgrade that yourself down the line if you find 500GB isn't enough.

8. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

#3. It has USB 3.0 which is the future. If you get either of the other two, you're investing in an outdated technology.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The average user? No.

:rolleyes: USB 2 will still work fine for many years to come. Other than external storage or media read/write, I am hard pressed to think of any peripherals that really benefit from USB3.

10. Glockron macrumors member

If you're not going to do anything serious - I'd opt for the 13" Air. Although the processor is weaker, you're not bound to feel that with your usage. The SSD speeds are much more likely to benefit you though, making everything from booting, opening apps, saving, copying etc. much much faster.

The Air gets you SSD speeds, and great portability - without really letting down on performance. Plus - the display is higher res... I run a virtual machine on mine, with around five other apps without the fans even kicking in :)

11. Jerlane thread starter macrumors newbie

I've thought about the air, but I still want the optical drive and. Want a larger hard drive. Plus I have an iPad, so portability isn't a big issue for me.