Which of these do you get from OWC

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c073186, Mar 10, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

In this picture:

[​IMG]

It looks like the RAM you purchase from OWC is identical to Apple's - with the black heatsinks, etc.

But in this photo:

[​IMG]

It look like OWC's RAM has a red heatsink. Now I know this is probably irrelevant to the performance of the RAM, but for those of you who have purchased OWC's RAM for the 2008 Mac Pro, which do you get?

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I like the design of the black heatsinks better. My unscientific guess is that it's more efficient at dissipating heat.

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

I think the red one is a generic version taken of a slightly older product. Looks like it says PC2-5300, which is the memory for the previous generation. The ones I ordered look like the first picture. In the end it doesn't matter. Just go through order process and they will give you correct one.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

It look like OWC's RAM has a red heatsink. Now I know this is probably irrelevant to the performance of the RAM, but for those of you who have purchased OWC's RAM for the 2008 Mac Pro, which do you get?[/QUOTE]

I got mine for OWC and mine are the black ones.

5. thagomizer macrumors 6502

I ordered some 2GB dimms and some 1GB dimms on two separate occasions from OWC, first 6 weeks ago and then again 2 weeks ago. On both occasions, the dimms look exactly like the first picture above. They have more cooling fins than the stock Apple dimms, although they are about 1 or 2 mm shorter. The Apple dimms look like the black one in the second picture.

6. JrdBeau macrumors member

I just received 4 x 2GB DIMMs from OWC and they have the black fin heat sinks.

7. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The one with the folded, flat red heatsink is the Netlist RAM. I have 4 of these Netlist 1GB modules in my (2006) MP.

I purchased them because, at the time, I thought the greater surface area would mean better cooling. But in practice it makes no discernible difference. Otherwise they work fine. Next time I'll buy the OWC brand with the finned heatsink.

8. pprior macrumors 65816

OWC sells both - you need to look at their listings closer.

Mac qualified, mac certified, or non-qualified.

9. Jonny427 macrumors regular

No, all they have right now for the 08 Mac Pro is their regular finned RAM. I ordered the 4x2GB 800MHz ram and got the black 7-finned model.

10. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

That is correct.
    I originally ordered the Netlist memory.
    But they getting further and further backordered so I ended up getting the OWC memory.
    I'm glad I did.