Which of these games will run on my macbook 2.4?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by bjisaac, Nov 5, 2008.

1. bjisaac macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the new macbook, the high end one. I was originally going to get the macbook pro but since the new ones have a dedicated gpu I decided to save about 400 and just get the macbook. So now I'm wondering how good of a gpu this is and I haven't had much luck with google. I'm pretty sure I should be able to run Half life 2 and counter strike source on it, right? But what about oblivion and mass effect, those might be close calls. I had a desktop at home that ran oblivion deccently but it seemed have the same slowness at any setting. This will be in boot camp of course, and I plan on eventually upgrading to 4 gigs of ram.

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

MacBook's don't have a dedicated graphics card.

3. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

All of those will run. Half-life 2 and CS:S will be able to be almost maxed out at native resolution under Vista.

4. bjisaac thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't? Well it has a decent graphics card then, I have xp so I'm hoping they run better since it doesn't use as much ram as vista, or will it make a difference. Also if I were to buy a external hard drive for a mac, would I be able to use it for my windows side too?

5. eLbanana macrumors member

I can run Oblivion with my old desktop PC... 2800xp athlon, radeon x700pro
    so i am pretty sure you can play oblivion in medium settings without any laggs.
    EDIT: use vista! it gives you a big performance boost!

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

No. It's still integrated graphics, not nearly as good as a real graphics card, but still quite a bit better than GMA950/3100.

--Eric

7. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

yes you can, as long as you format it as a FAT32. format it in OSX as windows places a 32gb (or is it 128gb?) limit on fat32 partitions when creating them. if you make it in OSX then that doesnt apply as far as i know. ive only got a 120gb fat32 external hard drive so i cant vouch for it working over 128gb.

you will find that windows system files will be created on it after you plug it into a windows computer, stuff like recycle bins and some other crap. some windows system files cannot be deleted using a mac.

8. bjisaac thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright one more question. What desktop card is the 9400m comparable with? I had a 6800 in my old desktop is it better than that or about the same?

9. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

It scores 2067 in 3DMark06

I'm suspecting it's a bit slower than the desktop 6800 you had before.