Which of these Internet packages would make sense for me?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Feb 18, 2011.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

My apartment complex is switching us from Time Warner to Grande as its internet provider of choice, so now I have to figure out which speed option makes the most sense for my needs. Perhaps you can help me out....

Usage: I normally use my high-speed internet for ordinary web browsing, including some streaming video. I don't game at all. I recently added a separate Netflix box via an Ethernet router, and it works fine without slowing down my current setup. I've clocked my TW connection at about 20 Mb/s download and .5 Mb/s upload. I was paying $50 a month.

Grande lists two price points that appeal to me, a $35.00 option with 8.0 up and .5 down, and a $45.99 option offering 12.0 up and 1.0 down with off-peak download "bolts" of up to 24 when available. The next option up, with speeds of 16.0 up/1.5 down (plus the "bolt" thing), takes me above what i was paying TW.

What do you think?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I have 12 mbps download and its fine for my needs. Just start there. If you want to upgrade later, they will be mroe than willing to take your money.

3. Svend macrumors member

12 Mbps down sounds like it would be the best choice for you. You could probably get by with 8 without any issues, but since 12 is already cheaper than what you are paying, why not?

4. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it sounds like I'd better go with the 12.0/1.0 option, especially since data will just keep getting bulkier and bulkier in the futute. I can always downgrade later if need be.