Which of these macbooks are better?

marklcfc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I don't know much about Macbooks, my last one was in 2009 and it broke after a few years so I've been wary ever since.

Apple MacBook Pro (15" Retina, Touch Bar, 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD) 2017

Apple MacBook Pro (15" Retina, Touch Bar, 2.2GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD) 2018

The first is refurbished, the second is new. £100 difference.

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
What are you using the computer for? The newer one has an updated processor with more cores/threads, albeit with a lower base clock. The 2018 also has a third-gen butterfly keyboard, which is supposedly less likely to fail. (I'm typing on a second-gen keyboard like the one in the 2017 model and have no problems, but others may tell you to avoid the older keyboards.)

marklcfc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Mainly to try recording music via logic instead of my PC which is awkward. I was going to go for the 13" but I'm thinking the screen will be too small now.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2018
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Mainly to try recording music via logic instead of my PC which is awkward. I was going to go for the 13" but I'm thinking the screen will be too small now.
I am currently using a 13” 2012 MBP primarily for Logic and it has worked very well for me. I had previously owned a 15” PC, but when I switched to Mac the only size I could get at that time was 13”. Now I would never go back to a 15” because for me it is too big. I prefer having a small portable laptop that I can easily carry with me anywhere and I can always connect to a monitor if I want a larger display.

If I were you I wouldn’t rule out the 13” model just yet. You may end up liking it quite a bit, especially with the smaller price tag. When getting a Mac, especially for recording, be sure to go for 16GB of RAM and at least a 256GB SSD. As far as the processor, that is up to you. Either of those that you mentioned would be more than enough for Logic.

At the end of the day the decision is yours. Good luck!

chekie

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
If those are the only options, the new one is no brainer.

1.refurbished vs new
2. quad core vs six core (though the 6 core has lower base frequency, it is still faster).
3. 2nd vs 3rd keyboard.
4. other minor improvements, true tone display etc

You get much better deal for just $100 more. I would still choose the new one even if it is $500 more.

Reactions: xxray

marklcfc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I would have preferred the 13 I just have the idea that it'll be too small, and I could connect to a monitor but then I think why have I got the small macbook when I'm having to do that.

I'm looking at https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro and the third one as a quad core and 16gb be enough? The processor isnt as powerful as either of the above 15's and I dont fancy upgrading as it ends up more than those :eek:

Reactions: theapplehead

elnbrg

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
IMHO, 2018 model is better because of the keyboard and refreshed hardware.

Donnation

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
The new one. Don't get bogged down with GHz, there isn't a noticeable difference between those two models. The new one has a better keyboard and is worth the price difference.