Which of these MB/MBP's would you buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacFanUK, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I'm heading back to university at the end of September so I am looking to buy a laptop. I have had laptops in the past but never really used them at university, however, this year I will be living further away from campus so I will probably use it more.

I have looked at both PC laptops and Mac laptops and I am definately wanting to get a Mac. I have just set up a hackintosh and I love the OS.

I have used Macs before but I have never had a brand new one. I got a brand new MBP as an insurance replacement once, but sold it without opening it, only to buy a 2nd hand, dented one a few months later.

Anyway, I have been looking on the Apple store and the following are my choices:

1) 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz, 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD, Illuminated Keyboard @ £799

2) 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD, 9600M GT GPU @ £969

3) 13" Macbook Pro, 2.26GHz, 2GB DDR3, 160GB HDD @ £770

4) 15" Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB DDR3, 250GB HDD @ £1110

Options 1 & 2 are both refurbs, which I have been against in the past, mainly because typically, refurbs cost about the same (or at most £20 less) than the HE store price. However, I was wondering if the refurb 15" would perform better in SL as it has a dedicated GPU.

Options 3 & 4 are both new and from the HE Store. The advantage of these 2 is that I would get the 3 year warranty as standard so wouldn't have to pay an extra £100+ for AppleCare. However, neither have a dedicated GPU.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT:
    My uses: Web Development, graphic design (web orientated), general uni stuff (word processing, powerpoint, etc). A bit of video editing.

I will also be connecting either laptop to an external screen when I'm at home.

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Treat yourself to a brand new one and DON'T sell it this time.

As always in a thread like this your uses come into play.

3. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks. I have just edited post with my uses.

4. nigameash macrumors 6502

why dont u just get the 13" Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB DDR3, 250GB HDD ;) it ll serve your purpose n give u the ultimate portability + battery life ;)

5. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

To be honest, I've intentionally ignored the 13" 2.53GHz. I understand that it's the performance of the 15" base model but in a 13" body, but I really don't think the extra 300MHz will make that much difference.

The reason I put the 13" and 15" in my options was screen size rather than spec's to be honest. Certainly if I was considering the 13" 2.53GHz, I'd just pay the extra £100 for the 15" model.

6. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

WHAT???? Get out of here!

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I'd go with option 3, possibly with a 4GB upgrade (cheaper not to buy from Apple usually).

In my experience (Mac Mini) the 9400M is fast enough, so I wouldn't worry unless you're a gamer. It's streets ahead of the older kit with Intel graphics.

8. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Option 3! I love my 2.26 13" MBP. Love it! Upgrade it later if you don't have the money, but I think its pretty good bang for buck.