Which of these programs are the best?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frost1235, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Frost1235 macrumors newbie

After a few months of searching, I came across a few programs for tasks I would routinely do.

The programs are:
    just lookin 3.2 vs Preview
    Podview or Senuti
    Visualhub vs Isquint vs Transcoder Redux
    A better Finder Renamer 8 VS Name Mangler VS automator
    Vuze vs utorrent vs frostwire
    ---> Which is faster and less resource taking?

As you can see some of them you would have to donate/pay for, and some are free. I was able to use some of each, but I really don't know what to choose from since some demos were limited.

And for some other programs that might just be useful would be
    safari adblock
    safari cookies
    sticky windows
    And maybe something to download youtube videos? (I heard you can just pull the video out from safari by opt-cmd-a, but is it easier than using a program?)

And finally for video capture
    Jing
    Capernicus
    http://screencastle.com/ (Screencastle. It supposedly can record videos from a web browser, but I would prefer a program if it is alright)

I would greatly appreciate any and all help given to me on these programs and their worth/usefulness! (Or Even programs that are better!)

Thank you for the read!

2. deej999 macrumors regular

For screen capture I'd recommend Screenflow (pricey but fantastic app) or iShowU (both are used by many people for making high quality video screencasts).

To download Youtube videos I've had great success with TubeTv. Really convenient app!

I'm not familiar enough with the other apps to give advice. Why not download them and try them out?

deej

3. Frost1235 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks for you help?

Anyone else know about the other programs I mentioned?

4. littleb2005 macrumors member

aren't visualhub and isquint discounted aka no longer being develop visualhub was good when it lasted

about the p2p apps u mention

utorrent is the one if u don't want something resource hungry

vuse and frostwire use java which can use alot of ram

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Transmission is best for bittorrent. It's small, and has been faster than uTorrent for me.

TubeTV is good.

6. Frost1235 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone else on the other programs?

7. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

All I have to say is if someone can recommend a better P2P other then torrents. I am running Frostwire and pretty much controls my computer in the sense that when frostwire is open, my computer will not sleep when told, bogs the machine down, and sucks all around!

8. Frost1235 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with frostwire.
    My best advice to you is to edit all of its preferences. I have it, only because I get mp3s off there, but have recently went all iTunes. (Its really cool when your songs DON'T have the radio DJ in them.)

I just googled these up:
    http://www.eskimo.com/~pristine/p2p.html

But with name mangler, I actually like that a bit more, just because it does the same job, and is free ^^;;
    Thank you very much for the replies though, doesn't stop from throwing in your two cents! :3

9. ddoonie macrumors regular

I've been using sticky windows for the last month, and do enjoy it. Keeps my desktop fairly clean of the many apps i have open. Sure you can use hide all, but it is nice to just click on the tab sometimes...

An alternative to sticky windows, is windowshade.