Which of these should i go for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnonymousDuck, Dec 11, 2016.

1. AnonymousDuck macrumors newbie

2. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I have the HooToo and it's great! I also have a couple of the Apple USB adapters for $9 for other ports if I need more than those on the HooToo until I can get a dock of some sort. ++++ for the HooToo. The HDMI works fine for me, no issues. Full USB 3 speed on the ports. Pass through charging works fine and the SD card reader works too. A good one to go with.

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

4. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Are you going to be using the HDMI port at 4K resolution?

5. scotty588 macrumors 6502

If you need it now, go for it, but as far as I know none of the usb-c hubs that are out right now fulfill the pass through power requirements of the 15" Macbook Pro. Supposedly March is the earliest we will see proper usb-c hubs that support the late 2016 MBP full power specs if you really want power pass through.

In addition the Apple digital AV adapter which has HDMI only supports 4k @ 30hz. There are other usb-c HDMI adapters out right now that support 4k @ 60 hz such as this Club3D one.

6. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

For some reason, 'hootoo' sounds incredibly sketchy. I know they made something good, but these silly off brand names always give me pause.

7. GBlansten macrumors regular

GBlansten

Don't let that give you pause. I have the 3 usb/sd card reader version and it is hefty and well made. Love it.

8. meteoreos macrumors regular

meteoreos

Personally, I'd just go for the Apple one for a piece of mind.

9. kwandrews macrumors 6502

Your choice. The HooToo is a good value, built well and (again), no issues since August for me. I've been using it since then with a 12" MacBook and no issues on either the MB or MBP.