Which of these TV's should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ozreth, Nov 25, 2010.

1. ozreth, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I don't know much about TV's, just that 1080p is typically better than 720p and of course bigger is better : )

With that being said, which of these would you go with? Will be using it mostly for ps3 but also movies and occasionally booking my MBP up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+32...sgivingWeekendSale_2010_Televisions&cp=1&lp=3

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...Televisions&cp=1&lp=21#tabbed-customerreviews

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Element-ELDFT421/14321381#ProductDetail

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony/13422986#ProductDetail

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

All four links are the same for me :confused: You didn't give us much to choose from :p

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Second link is still broken (leads to page not found in Best Buy).

What size do you prefer? 32" or 42" (quite a big step)? Personally, I'm a Sony guy and I got 32" Sony Bravia (one of the first 720p ones) and it's been great. However, I think I'd get the LG if I was buying a new TV. They sell like hotcakes and in the end, all TVs are pretty much the same.

I would go and see them in-store if possible.

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I cannot for the life of me get that second link to work, so here is a quick screen:

[​IMG]

It looks like for the same price I'm getting a 10" bigger tv but with 720p instead of 1080p. Does 1080 make that big of a difference? I'm not too picky.

edit: also this one is plasma instead of LCD, again im not sure of the quality difference. The Wal Mart ones are online only but Im gonna try to check the best buy ones out today if I get a chance.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Plasmas are old, I would go with LCD. If you like the bigger size, how about this (your 3rd link)? It's only 70$ more but you get 1080p and it's LCD. Insignia and Element are both new brands for me so I can't comment about their quality for instance.

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Insignia and Dynex are Best Buys own generic brand. Best for on a budget.

I bought a 37" Panasonic two months ago and am very happy with it. Panasonic, Sony, LG and Samsung are all brands that you can't really go wrong with.

For 32" you can get 720 since you need to be closer than 4 feet to notice a difference. 37" or larger you really need 1080 and of course HD signal. Remember, the downside of larger TV's is that your old DVD's will look soft so if you want sharp movies you need blu-ray.

8. gshaw777, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

gshaw777 macrumors newbie

Which TV to buy?

Hey. I bought an LG about 4 months ago. Great picture and it is Internet capable also. It is a 55" TV - and you're right - the bigger the better. I also have a 52" Samsung about 3 years old sitting about 3 feet from my nose as I watch the Cowboys and Saints on this Thanksgiving Day. And, it is perfect - may be even as good as the LG. Hard to believe all the bad information out there about "... distance from the picture is so important." Baloney. Or maybe the HD TV's are just that much better these days. That 3 feet proximity doesn't hurt the picture at all and I love it.

9. MacMini2009, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011
  10. GDOX316 macrumors newbie

buy the apple tv.. ha ha haha. Im sorry.
    Personally, i bought a 40" dynex tv last christmas for $500. Hesitant at first, it was honestly a perfect buy after using it for 11 months. I use it as my monitor for my desktop. Don't regret a thing.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

LED TVs are still LCD as only the backlight is LED. We won't see OLED TVs anytime soon