Which of These Two Hard Drives For My MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sml238, Feb 28, 2010.

1. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

The stock HD that's in my MacBook which is a TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF 250GB 5400
    Does anyone know anything about this drive? Benchmarks compared to the Hitachi below. Also power consumption compared to the Hitachi?

Or this Hitachi 5K500.B 250GB 5400
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145255
    Also, how reliable is this drive?

Originally I was going to get the 320GB Hitachi, but then I've read that the single platter 250GB drives out perform the 320GB's. I was also going to get a 7200 HD but then decided against it because I want to keep heat/power consumption to a minimum.

I'm looking for... (greatest to least)...
    Low heat
    Low power consumption
    High Speed
    Quite

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Personally, I prefer Western Digital drives
    But others will have their own personal preferences and experiences

You might want to consider the 320 GB Scorpio Blue or Black
    Or even the 500 GB Scorpio Blue

3. sml238 thread starter macrumors regular

sml238

i did consider those drives. after some research, a lot of users report that they vibrate when running at high speeds, get hotter than the stock drive, and use slightly more power...

I'm hoping i can find someone very experienced and knowledgeable about this so i can make a decision i know ill be happy with

but thank you for your 2 cents

4. kxfrog macrumors regular

I just upgrade mine from a stock 5400rpm 120gb to a seagate 500gb 7200rpm I notice no power consumption difference or major noticable vibration. It is a brilliant drive and much faster I definately reccomen and it's very cheap for the capacity.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Looking at Toms Hard Drive Charts both Scorpio Blue 500GB and Hitachi 5K500.B are quite close in performance. The Scorpio has higher at I/O operations per second, shorter access times and faster read/write rates in most tasks. Under load it uses around 0.2 to 0.25 more watts than the Hitachi when idle it uses 0.14 less watts than the Hitachi (which in normal use would equal nearly zero difference in battery life).

Battery life likely seems less to those people because they are toying around with the now faster laptop putting it under greater load. Thus draining the battery in less time, rather than setting a task and timing the difference in run times from full charge to complete discharge (say letting iTunes play MP3's with the visualizer turned on).

After analyzing much of this data last year I went with the Scorpio Blue since it's performance nearly matched that of 7200RPM drives. I have noticed no heat, noise, nor vibrations from it in my Macbook. Nor in any of my customers laptops, as it is the drive I always recommend.

When buying myself a hard drive I always look at the toms charts for the best performer for the price then Newegg customer reviews to make sure it has a good reputation.

6. cube macrumors G5

There's the new 500GB Hitachi 7K500. I think it is the fastest.

7. sml238 thread starter macrumors regular

sml238

does the scorpio blue click? i was told the wd drives tend to click? also do they make it in a single platter drive?

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My Scorpio Blue does not click at all

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I had a 320GB Scorpio Black and it did vibrate noticeably. It wasn't too much that I didn't want to use it, but I recently replaced it with the Hitachi 7K500 and the vibration is gone completely.

10. sml238 thread starter macrumors regular

sml238

do you think the scopio blue would vibrate like your black did?

also whats ur take on single and double platters? and what capacity hd's are fastest?