Which of these two iMacs is mine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by annk, Jun 5, 2008.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I want to buy RAM for my iMac, but can't figure out which of these two mine is. How can find this out?

Picture 2.png

2. Ryon macrumors member

It's likely they're both the same. Try each one and see if the RAM is different. If they are significantly different and you need to choose, you can find your model number on the original box. If you don't have that, Apple provides this document to help:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301724

Good luck!

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Is the MB323LL/A not the aluminium iMac with the pc6400 Ram ?

The one above will probably be pc5300 Ram.

Check in system profiler>memory to see whether you have pc5300 or the more recent pc6400 (800MHz).

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Go to each one and see which is the 667mhz and which is the 800mhz.

If you have the current iMac you want the 800mhz NOT the 667.

5. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

The MB323LL/A is the new one that was updated on April, 28, 2008. If you got yours before that you need the other (667)

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

You can always go to www.crucial.com and run the program they have that will automatically show you the RAM that goes with your computer.

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the August 2007 revision iMacs could handle 800mhz RAM?

If you had an August 2007 - April 08 iMac, couldn't you go for either?

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

To find the number above real quick ... use

http://support.apple.com/specs/#imac and click on the iMac you thing it is the MB323LL/A show as the 2008 iMac

But generally looking at About this Mac > More Info > Model Identifier

and matching it with the machines here

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/AppleHardware-date.html

and then going to RAM will get you here

http://developer.apple.com/document...eptual/HWTech_RAM/Introduction/RAM_intro.html

Basically just click on the

RAM Expansion Product-Specific Details > iMac

and it lists all the machines, and what RAM they use.

9. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks so much for all the fast and detailed answers! Unfortunately, I'm still unsure. But here's some more info, in the hope that one of you will see what I need.

According to About this Mac, I have 800 MHz Ram. So from this, I suppose I need the MB323LL.

I used some of the info you guys gave me, and determined that my iMac is a mid-2007 model, with EMC 2133 and model nr A1224. So from that, I'd think the opposite, that I'd need the non-MB323LL RAM.

Not really :p. That scanner tool has never worked on any of my Macs. (But it was the first thing I tried, even so.)

Boy, that would sure make it easy - I wouldn't have to worry about making a mistake.

According to the first link you give, this is the info for my Mac:

Picture 4.png

So here, I would think I CAN'T use the 800 MHz after all, even though that's what it says in About my Mac.

Can anyone see what I need? :eek:

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The faster DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) just should just slow down to DDR2-667 (PC2-5300).

You should be able to use it, you just get no benefit other that the likelihood that cheap marginal memory should have a problem running at a slower speed.

Of course About this Mac tells you flat out if you need DDR2-800 or DDR2-667

The About this Mac>More Info>Hardware Overview>Bus Speed does show 800MHz for all the machines.

About this Mac>More Info>Hardware>Memory shows up as DDR2-800 or DDR2-667