Which of these two MBPs should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by felton1592, May 16, 2012.

  1. felton1592 macrumors newbie

    May 17, 2011

    • 15"
    • i7 Quad-core 2GHz
    • High-resolution antiglare display
    • 128gb SSD drive
    • 4GB RAM
    • Comes with the standard 500GB Drive (in an external case)

    £899 (£15 postage)

    My only problem with this is the silver screen, as I have always gone for black products due to being able to see the screen better.

    Here is the next one:


    • 15"
    • i7 Quad-core 2GHz
    • Glossy display
    • Regular 500GB drive
    • 8GB RAM

    £950 (No postage)

    This has the ideal black display, however, I just want performance really.

    My main use is for University, being a media student. I will be video editing a lot, the odd game for a break, but mostly editing/graphics, etc.
  2. M5RahuL macrumors 68030


    Aug 1, 2009
    Tough choice! As enticing as the first one is with the SSD + 500 GB HDD, AG Display and lower price point, I'd pick the second one. Why ? because of AppleCare!

    The first one doesn't seem to have any warranty left, so any repairs [ if needed ] will be out of pocket. If it wasn't for the lack of warranty, the first one was a no brainer. Plus, the 100% positive rating for the first one's seller is an added plus. I just feel the security that comes with OEM warranty on a used item carries more weight that one that's without, even with a superior configuration.

    Just my .02!
  3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030


    Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Go with the first one!
    You can replace RAM very easy and cheaper! (like 30USD for 8GB)
  4. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a


    Dec 7, 2009
    :apple: On one hand, RAM is not equal: you could upgrade 4GB by yourself to a better 8GB RAM than other MBP contains
    (1600MHz is 20% faster than a standard stock 1333MHz)
    :apple: On the other hand, SSDs are not equal as well: you could get a MBP with a regular HD and wait for Sandforce
    3rd generation - based SSDs to upgrade later, the performance difference between SSDs should be big as well.
    Then install the HD to OptiBay and SSD to a HD previous place,
    and have an excellent HD 500 GB + SSD (high volume + high performance) hybrid configuration.

    It is up to you which route to choose. If it would be possible,
    I would advice to get a MBP with regular 500GB drive and 4GB RAM, only to get the RAM upgrade and SSD later,
    and invest the saved money to a better GPU - MBP with 1GB VRAM.

    If you are not in hurry, you could wait for the next generation MBP, it will come out soon.
    At least, if you don't like it, the price of the current MBP will drop even further!
  5. felton1592 thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 17, 2011
    I have to wait until June to see if I get on my next year of University, but I can't afford to buy brand new. I am hoping to see if I can get the 2.2GHz 2011 model with the 6950m for around a grand if possible, or I would like the 2GHz one with apple care warranty which one of them has above.

Share This Page