Carrier Which of these two options would you go with if it were you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by easy-peasy, May 21, 2014.

1. easy-peasy macrumors regular

I'm currently on a ATT family plan paying $30/mo for unlimited data and $10/my for 100 minutes (lowest family plan was $50 for 550 minutes, was 450 for $40 before I joined). The both of these get a 15% discount bringing the total to $34/mo. In addition I also get a $450 subsidy every two years which divided by 24 months comes out to $19/mo basically given to me by AT&T. I guess you could think of it as if I am paying $15/mo ($34 - $19) for 100 minutes and unlimited data.

I've thought about going to AIO wireless (now called Cricket wireless) in order to be in complete control of my own plan and not have to worry about verifying changes or upgrades with my wireless plan roommate. They have a $35/mo plan (no other taxes or fees) which has unlimited minutes & texting + 500mb of data. I know I wouldn't go over the data limit as I don't stream Pandora or Netflix and I'm good about using wifi.

I know the easy reply would be "well how important is having your own account?" or "depends on if you want unlim texting & minutes" but I'm wondering what YOU would do in this certain situation.

$34/mo
    100 minutes
    No text
    5gb data
    Phone subsidy every 2 years
    Family account without independence

Or

$35/mo
    Unlimited min
    Unlimited text
    500mb data
    No phone subsidy
    Independent account

Which of the 2 options above would YOU choose?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

This one is a no brainer for me.. Stay with AT&T and keep your unlimited plan. Even if you don't think you will use 500MB, that can be eaten up in a matter of 30 minutes with LTE. Run 5-6 speed tests and 500MB is gone.

I've never seen the point of having an individual account if you can get away with being part of a family plan. Overall it's so much cheaper. Clearly the no text and limited number of minutes hasn't been a problem for you, otherwise you would have mentioned it.

That's being said, I am keeping my unlimited data until AT&T kicks me off of it.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Cricket. I've been using them a couple months now and I'm very satisfied. I notice no difference between them and AT&T. Also, your data on Cricket is unlimited, you just get throttled to edge speeds after you hit your limit.

4. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Why?

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Based on the little detail in your post about the "why", your own plan.

6. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Unlimited ALL THE WAY!!!

Never know, when you'll get a hobby/job/interest that'll require absorbent amounts of data.

Just saying...

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Why what?

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'd go with the 2nd option. How do you get by without text? As for Data, there's always WiFi, unless you're a huge data hog, and not a text chatter, then option 1.