Which of these two RAM options would you go with?, and why

Discussion in 'iMac' started by doxavita, Jun 23, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

2. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Read the reviews

Read the reviews. For reasons unknown the Crucial ram actually arrived DOA in more than one occasion. Curious.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

G.Skill. Cheaper and there is no need to pay 15$ more for certain brand.

4. azax456 macrumors newbie

I just went with the Crucial 2x4GB for my 2011 iMac. I purchased direct from Crucial for $77.89. I did lots of research and found them to be one of the biggest companies and most reliable. I like the idea of purchasing right from the manufacturer for customer service reasons. With ram, as long as it meets the specifications it should be good. The only thing that could really go wrong is it could be a bad module but any company would immediately replace it, no questions asked.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

5. trsblader macrumors 6502

I have 16gb of G.Skill in my machine and it's just fine.

6. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I added a 8 GB G.Skill RAM chips to my mid-2011 iMac. No problems whatsoever. That and it only came out to $65.00. Follow Hellhammer's advice-he speaks the truth!

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

8. biosci macrumors 6502a

Haven't owned an IMac in ages. The ram is easily replaceable/installable still? I remember for a time it was cheaper to add ram in your own, then apple made their upgrades more affordable but I'm not sure where they are now with prices and upgrade costs...

9. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I have been using Crucial memory for years in PCs and Macs. I have 16GB of Crucial on my 2011 iMac and have zero issues.

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Then why post and confuse the issue. :confused:

they both have the same specs, buy which ever.

11. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did not post that Badger, someone else did.

I think I'll go with the G.Skill, cheaper, same specs, good reviews, and they should replace it anyways if anything goes wrong. It'll get the job done.

12. MrT-Man macrumors regular

I was looking to go from 4GB to 12GB as well. So just to be clear, there's no specific benefit to having all four banks matched -- all that matters is that the two modules in each pair match, right?

13. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would like to know this as well. I'm pretty sure it'll work if the pair matches.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. As long as the pair consists of equal capacities, all of the RAM will run in dual-channel mode. If you put 2GB and 4GB in the same channel, then only 2x2GB will run in dual-channel and the remaining 2GB in the 4GB module will run in single-channel.

15. doxavita, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

In other words, I should be fine if I buy that 2 x 4GB G.Skill set from newegg right, no problems when running?

The stock iMac has 4GB ( 2 x 2GB) , on the two remaining RAM slots, I can add 8GB (2 x 4GB). That would work just fine, right? (speed wise). That's what I plan on doing, (installing my own RAM plus the one already included)