Which of these two SSDs is better?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MythicFrost, May 12, 2010.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The 240GB Mercury Extreme Pro or the 160GB Intel X25-M G2

I'm curious, I have an Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD in my Mac Pro, I need a larger SSD for my iMac. Is that Mercury just as good as the X25-M?

2. Laptops macrumors newbie

Hi MythicFrost,

the "Intel X25-M G2 Postville 160GB" got excellent reviews as far as I have seen. I'm using the the 80GB version of the Intel SSD and I'm really happy with it.

It seems that the Mercury Extreme Pro has a much faster write speed. But honestly I must say I never experienced much delays caused by the Intels lower write speed. Normally the source storage where you get data from is much slower than the SSD(as long you are not doing a lot of encoding/unpacking stuff).

Another question is if the Mercury Extreme Pro holds the promised performance over time like the Intel does. Some SSD's seem to get slower over time - I have no info about the "Mercury Extreme Pro" concerning this.

Greetings

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks for your reply,

According to the link the Mercury has it's own form of garbage collection, unlike the X25-M as far as I am aware. I myself own a 160GB X25-M G2 and never had any issues, I do require more storage.

I know the X25-M has really fast random read & writes and great read (not sure about write) latency, I'm not sure about this Mercury.