Which of those SSD to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Icekill, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Icekill macrumors newbie

I'm looking for an SSD for my new Macbook Pro 2011.

I need decent space and specially no problems, as this is my work computer. So i think i should go after old generation SSD (SATA 2) instead of the new and less tested (SATA 3). I'll lose speed, but the improvement over the default 5400rpm should be good enough, and after reading the forums, i should have less problems with the SATA 2 drives.

Here are the options i have found (in Spain where i live)

Intel® 320series 2,5" SSD 160 GB --> 221€

OCZ Vertex2 E 2,5" SSD 240 GB --> 270€

Crucial RealSSD M4 2,5" SSD 256 GB --> 326€

Samsung 470series 2,5" 256 GB --> 350€

I'm thinking about buying the OCZ, good price and size. I know the Intel might be more reliable, but 160Gb is not enough. Also the OCZ has good garbage collection, so i won't probably need to use the trim enabled hack if Lion finally doesn't offer trim for non Apple drives.

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

2. ChazB macrumors member

If you're aware of the "issues" that people are having with the OCZ and you're OK with that then I'd say get it, but try to get a Vertex 3 or any SATA III SSD. The MBP 2011 has SATA III for the drive connector so might as well take advantage of it.

3. Icekill thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer.

I'm aware of the OCZ issues, and also about the SATA III issues, that is why i'm looking for a SATA II SSD, reliability over speed (while still huge upgrade from mechanical drives) and also a bit cheaper for being old generation.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue with OCZ and TRIM is that they seem to be conflicting with each other. You'll be better off without TRIM enabled with OCZ drives or get an intel.