Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Hello All,

I have a new Mac Air M2, and logged into Office 365 via browser. I loaded all of Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).

All works fine.

When I go to the App Store, though, I see Word, etc., and the "Get" button is available. Is there a difference between version such that the app store does not think I have it loaded?

As an example, this is the version of Word I have:
1700704112685.png

Thanks!
R

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Hi - thanks for the reply. I am not using the web version (if you mean via the web browser). I just downloaded the apps from MS. I see Microsoft Word.app etc in my applications.

R

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
You have the right version for your Mac. Microsoft does allow people to sub to 365 through the App Store, which is billed separately.

Reactions: Rhyalus

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You have the right version for your Mac. Microsoft does allow people to sub to 365 through the App Store, which is billed separately.
The OP can use either version. You don’t need a subscription through the App Store in order to use the App Store version of the apps. Any M365 subscription will work.

The main differences between the two are:

Microsoft installer:
  • Updates are handled through Microsoft’s auto update tool. Some people found this annoying and intrusive in the past…don’t know if that’s still the case.
  • You can enroll in the insider program or different channels to get access to beta builds.
App Store:
  • Apps are handled through the App Store.
  • It is only the production releases (same as the “Current” channel). You cannot get insider builds this way or enroll in a different channel.

Reactions: Rhyalus and chrfr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.