Which older phones will run an official PACman ROM?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by lewismayell, May 26, 2013.

1. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

So I'm still looking for a mess around phone, at the moment I cant get a much cheaper Nexus 4 or S3, so now I'm wondering, is there an older phone that will run the official PACman ROM and won't be too expensive.

Also, is the Galaxy Nexus a decent enough phone and is there an official PACman for it?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

3. lewismayell thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't know if it would brick but it definitely wouldn't work properly. They have different hardware so don't even try doing it.

People worry about flashing a ROM for the same phone but different model like a Verizon or ATT model and you want to flash between 2 different phones :p Big no no

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

ClockworkMod will read the headers before attempting to flash and throw out an error.

The real problem with flashing just anything without a confirmation is basically that it can contain some additional things. Like a baseband upgrade. If you were to apply a ROM with one that wasn't for your phone, you're totally going to brick it to the point where you can't make calls or use the internet anymore (or you might lose 3G/LTE). It's a firmware patch and there's no going back once you apply it.

There are instances where multiple phones pretty much are the same device though. In my case, I have a Huawei Fusion 2 which has the same chip as some of their nicer devices. I'm using a ROM on this $60-80 GoPhone from a device that is like $300.

But yeah, the Galaxy Nexus is completely different to the Nexus 4. It was made by Samsung vs LG to start with and they use completely different hardware, if not the chips, the displays themselves. Don't be afraid to install an unofficial ROM though, as it's all just Github code that anyone can compile themselves with the right tools. And a ton of people test it out to meet the same stable state of the officially supported builds.

6. blackhand1001, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Its definitely built for the galaxy nexus as well. Yes its official, its on their site. However, I recommend aokp or cm over it. PACman has some stability issues. If you want the per app dpi settings, install xposed framework and then install the app settings plugin. It gives you just as much control as the paranoid settings but you can use it on any rom.

http://pacman.basketbuild.com/index.php?dir=main/maguro/

Don't try to flash a rom for another phone. It won't permanently brick your phone but its not gonna boot and its a waste of time.

7. lewismayell thread starter macrumors 6502a

By cheaper, I mean second hand, I'm not too bothered about the condition either

----------

Ah thanks guys:) So I should just look for an SGN and install CM or Aokp on it?

8. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'd suggest installing CM10.1 on the Galaxy Nexus.
    I installed Cyanogenmod on a Nook Tablet and despite being 2 years old it works great, kinda like a $70 Nexus 7 :D

But definitely don't install another phones ROM on your phone without researching if they're compatible.

9. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Mine runs great with it so if you wanna save money over the nexus 4 then sure.

10. lewismayell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha ok

11. kiltedthrower macrumors regular

Go to xda and look on the development section for your phone or you're going to brick it

12. lewismayell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is the code name for the GNexus, Maguro?

13. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Yes, Maguro is Galaxy Nexus (GSM).

14. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Yup and toro is verizon and toroplus is sprint.

15. lewismayell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would any of them work for the UK version then?

16. lewismayell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh ok, thanks