Which on to BUY!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gfbaldin, Oct 20, 2015.

1. gfbaldin macrumors newbie

I know there are a lot of threads on here asking which iMac should I buy. Well I need your guys help too!

I don't really do a lot of crazy things with the mac. I do make iMovie videos from time to time for friends and family. Might wanna start playing games on the machine (GTA). Other than that I use it for the web. I have the option a open box t best buy or to buy a brand new machine from apple below are the two:

BEST BUY OPEN BOX orig $2299.99 on sale of $1697.99 (MODEL MF886LL/A)
    • All-in-one design saves space and cuts clutter
      A full computer is housed inside the monitor, so you get all the power of a desktop in a streamlined design that involves fewer cables and takes up less space on a desk, table or kitchen counter.
    • 27" Retina 5K screen
      Native 5120 x 2880 resolution boasts 7x the resolution of a standard HDTV, providing breathtaking color and clarity. Compensation film offers wide viewing angles. Energy-efficient LED backlight. Low-reflection coating.
    • 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 processor
      Smart quad-core, 4-way processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don't. Overclockable to 3.9GHz.
    • 8GB system memory for advanced multitasking
      Substantial high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs, all at once.
    • 2-in-1 Fusion Drive provides both size and speed
      Incorporates a large-capacity 1TB hard drive for ample storage, with a 128GB flash module as a cache to speed up start times and accelerate frequently accessed data.

or

FROM APPLE brand new $1799.99

3.2GHz Processor
    1TB Storage

• 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    • 8GB (two 4GB) memory, configurable up to 32GB
    • 1TB hard drive1
    • AMD Radeon R9 M380 with 2GB video memory
    • Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display

2. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I would go with the open box model from Best Buy as it has the fusion drive. If you configure the new 27" with the 1TB Fusion drive you'll be pushing $2k with tax.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Open Box with a BUT. New model has better processor and screen. Open box is better on all other specs.

So the BUT... I'd make them toss in some kind of (at a min one year) warranty from YOUR purchase date, be it Geek Squad or Apple Care. I'd also make sure it's returnable so that if you get home and finds out it does odd things 48 hours in you can bring it back and get your $ back, not just a store credit.

Once you are happy with it bump up the RAM to 16GB.

4. jerwin macrumors 65816

The open box has a real fusion drive (with 128 GB flash). It has a m290x gpu, which is arguably better than the m390, and better than the m380.

What you get with the Apple is
    a: it's not an open box
    b: better screen

You can get a refurbished version of the best buy imac from apple for $1869.

5. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

I'm looking at the same things, the only kicker is I want the new keyboard and trackpad. That would add 230$ to either minus whatever I could get for the kb/mouse they come with.
    So I'd be pushing 2k either way, throw in apple care too.

My dilemma, I have the new 27" 3.3 w/ 256ssd and Magic Trackpad, Apple care with education pricing at about 2.5k. Lot of money to swallow up front but, I'll be selling a Mac mini setup for about 350-450 hopefully, which brings it back to something I can stomach. I plan to have this for at least 5-6 years if not longer and I could of course always sale it to upgrade if I feel the next model is worth it.

6. hifimacianer macrumors member

The m290x GPU in the older model is NOT better than the m390!
    The m390 is slightly better in most Benchmarks.

http://www.mac4ever.com/actu/105236...-l-imac-5k-le-plus-puissant-de-tous-les-temps

7. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

I missed out on the part where the new 5K iMac has a better screen than the old 5K?!

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

9. jerwin macrumors 65816

hmm--
    the 390 wins on cinebench 95.3 fps to 90.45 fps.
    the 290x wins on Tomb raider 60/50 fps to 56/48 fps
    the 290x wins on Luxmark gpu 6935 to 6568

[​IMG]
    Screen Shot 4.png

And Heaven. I benchmarked Heaven, which netted me a 652 on a m290x and a 565 on a m390.
    So. Yes. Arguably better--unless you play cinebench all day.