which one disability you would erase from the world

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zyr123, Jul 31, 2012.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

STUTTER!!

any else have that on this forum?

if so welcome to the club!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

3. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Seriously?!

Paraplegia. Let's get rid of that.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

5. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

6. njp macrumors member

This.

And colorblindness as a bonus, because it afflicts me and I wish I could draw pictures in color...

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Can I ask why you chose this one? My daughter is on the spectrum. One of the hardest things is its invisible. A child who is blind or in a wheelchair has an obvious disability. With other health issues like ASD people look at you and think (and expect) you to behave like any other person.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Austism is NOT part of disability!

Anyway I am deaf and I am happy for who I am!

Thank you!

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I have a stutter. Id love to get rid of it. I've tried all sorts of ways if managing it, the only thing that really lets me speak fluently is rage, which isn't really viable all the time.

Id definitely get rid of it.

10. Randall McQuady macrumors newbie

Tough Call...

Capitalism, or class (Basically hierarchies)...

11. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Huntington's Disease

An entire family, very close friends to my family, has been ravaged by it, and its latest victim was their 9yr old child back in January. You may have read or heard about her in the news.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is absolutely horrible. :(

13. firedept, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

No offense intended. I just believe that all people should have an equal chance in life. I have friends who have autistic children and I hate to see how differently they are treated or how people react to their behaviors. We are all equals no matter what disability or illness we may have. I apologize to anyone I may have offended. So I am hoping for no disabilities of any kind.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I didn't take offence, just curious. Yes people should be treated equally regardless of any diagnosis. My daughter has higher functioning aspergers and is very bright. But you would be surprised at how many professionals treat her like she is dumb.

15. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would not be surprised at all. I am an EMT and work on the ambulance part time. We have dealt with many different disabilities. Some seen and some unseen. And you are absolutely right at how they treat them. Please remember not all professionals are like that. We as Paramedics and EMTs are taught to treat everyone with the same respect. Unfortunately some of us have forgot what we initially learned.

16. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I too have high functioning Aspergers, it's a challenge and I have learned to deal with AS as both a gift, and a curse.

Feel free btw to PM me for advice or a chat, looking to get to know other AS people :)

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I have had the pleasure to know some brilliant health care professionals and some really poor ones. The road to my daughters diagnosis was very difficult. Even now some people within the care profession don't believe in conditions like ASD. They just put it down to bad parenting or worse.

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

ADHD.

I'm ADHD. From a non-ADHD (or sometimes a non-chronic ADHD) person, an ADHD kid just seems like a kid that needs to just calm down and everything will be alright.

That's not true for me and many other people with ADHD.

Getting through the day without being called out upon and becoming embarrassed.

Not having many friends because you're "annoying" and having many people turn against you when you really are trying.

The medicine that never works and just makes you lose a lot of weight, or you do find medicine that works but it makes you dark and depressed (the only medication out of 12 that I tried, the one that worked made me depressed and think about suicide, keep in mind I was a 10-year-old).

ADHD is not fun for the people around you, and it sure as hell is not fun for the person who has it either.

19. Abstract, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have ADHD and I've never been physically hyperactive. I just wanted to point out that despite tests showing that I was very hyperactive (I was diagnosed at 19 years old), I don't consider it that bad --- certainly not bad enough to eradicate if I only had one choice!!

FYI, I'd get rid of mental disabilities. If I wasn't allowed to be so broad, I'd choose Down's Syndrome. :eek:

And with regards to ADHD, people always associate ADHD with hyperactivity, and hyperactivity with physical hyperactivity. Sure, I used to exhibit some of the typical behaviour like look around the room constantly while every other student was looking towards the teacher. However, the hyperactivity was always mental, as my mind runs rampant and I can't slow it down long enough for me to do things, like act as a fully-functioning adult. My issues with concentrating have to do with having a hyperactive mind. And I had anger management issues. Well, not "anger". Not to me. It was more a mixture of 80% frustration (I get easily frustrated), and 20% anger, but people just interpret it as 100% anger. And I'm quite direct, so I tell people things in a way that may hurt their feelings, and I've driven plenty of people away by doing so. I always apologize later, but it's not the same...........

But......it's not so bad, and I've learned to control it MUCH better over the past 5-6 years. I wouldn't have been able to do it if I was only improving for myself, or for my parents, but I've changed a lot because getting easily frustrated isn't conducive to a long-term, happy relationship with a girlfriend. ;)