Which One Do I Download?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac.Virgin101, May 7, 2010.

1. Mac.Virgin101 macrumors member

Handbrake was suggested for converting files to view on my PSP. I have never used it before and I'm already stumped. Which version do I choose?

Attached Files:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

32-bit Intel if you use VLC Player in 32-bit.

3. Mac.Virgin101 thread starter macrumors member

4. Mac.Virgin101 thread starter macrumors member

Isnt VLC player for your computer though? I'm trying to convert the files to watch directly on my Playstation Portable, it doesn't have VLC player on it.

Or are you saying you need VLC as well as Handbrake to convert files to PSP format (which i think is MPEG-4 or mp4).

Sorry forgive me...I've never done this before.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

VLC Player is needed for Handbrake to decode the encryption on the DVD, unless you use a rip software like MacTheRipper, RipIt or FairMount.

Btw, MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora, and this topic comes up every week at least.

Btw 2, the thread you linked to provided you a solution with your PSP issue. It's the last post or so.

6. Martayjay macrumors newbie

Need VLC

The latest best version of Handbrake is 64-bit. It needs you to have VLC in your applications folder to rip DVDs. However, for some reason VLC has discontinued their 64-bit version and only offer the 32-bit right now.
    The 64-bit version of Handbrake will NOT work with 32-bit VLC and will emphatically tell you so if you try to use the 32-bit VLC with it.

So...you can do one of 2 things:

1) Download the 32-bit version of Handbrake and use it with the present 32-bit version of VLC or...

2) Download the 64-bit version of Handbrake and then do a Google search for the 64-bit version of VLC, which is archived somewhere out there on the Net.

#2 is the path I have chosen and it works fine.