Which one...Flip MinoHD, Creative Labs Vado HD, Aiptek Action HD, or something else?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacProRocker, Jan 20, 2009.

1. MacProRocker macrumors newbie

MacProRocker

I am looking to trade in my mini dv video camera and downgrade to a pocket sized hd camera. I will be using it to strictly upload to YouTube. I will prob do some editing in iMovie with the video captured.

Probably a lot of low'ish lighting will be shot. (I'm in a band) And audio of decent quality would be nice.

I guess my question is, which one is the best one available, and which one is most compatible with my MacBook Pro?

2. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG9? Not HD but gets good feedback.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The second question is easy... the flip MinoHD is the only one of these pocket HD cameras (that I know of) which iMovie detects natively, so it is the most compatible. All of the others require you to drag the movie files manually onto your Mac and transcode to a format that iMovie will import.

Your first question is harder. The Flip has fixed memory and has the smallest amount of any with fixed memory (it will record 1 hour of video before filling its memory). Low light isn't a strong suit for any of these pocket format cameras.

I am in the same boat, looking to get one of these in addition to my HDV camera. The pocket size should be less of a pain to carry around so I'd have it with me more often. But if it either runs out of memory too quickly or is a major pain to import footage from, then I'll end up just using my Canon HV20 all the time instead.

Another similar thread talked about a Sony that went for $199. I went to Sony's site and they will soon have a pocket format one for $169. I am just waiting for that to come out and monitoring all of these similar threads in the mean time, seeing what people have to say about each of the models.

Edit: the Sony camera I was thinking about is the Webbie

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

5. Dermot macrumors newbie

From what I have read and seen so far I would think Creative Vado HD is overall the best value for money. It has decent low light operation, too.
    If you look up these reviews video clips that show the quality of each camcorder:
    http://chris.pirillo.com/best-video-camera-creative-vado-hd-vs-flip-mino-hd-vs-kodak-zi6/
    http://pomomusings.com/2009/01/14/camcorder-comparison-indoors/

For recording a band - if you are slightly serious about what people might think about your music, get a separate dedicated audio recorder - none of these pocket video cams will do justice to your music - they all use cheap electret microphones with omni directional pollar pattern and are too easy to distort. You might have luck but do not count on it...

6. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

There are tons of these cameras coming out this quarter.

Other than the Sony Webbie (which has a optical zoom) there is also the Kodak Zx1 ($150), RCA EZ209HD ($119).

You may want to wait a little while unless you need it right away and see how these new models stack up for your needs. With the prices of these new cameras the Mino HD seems a bit over priced.

7. US in Germany macrumors newbie

I just purchased the MinoHD for use with my Macbook Pro. Works better than I expected with iPhoto. Low light is OK, although it has some problems with high/low light movies (i.e. dark-ish faces with bright background).

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Just got a Mino, and I'm pretty impressed. It's not reallly equipped to hook up to your TV though, it only has analog video out. But once the file's on your computer, it's damn impressive for a cell phone size camcorder.

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

smokin! deal

This is a smokin deal on the Creative Vado HD. Amazon has it for 129$ now

Use this coupon code now

Creative Labs Vado HD 720p Pocket Video Camcorder $129.99 with free shipping...this is $100 off!
    This is from Amazon.com
    Simply add the Vado HD to your Shopping Cart, enter promo code MY88J7DV at checkout, and Amazon will instantly apply a $100 savings.

VADO HD at Amazon

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^

Thanks for the heads up - almost ordered one, except that the files are in .avi and you have to transcode them for editing on the Mac... :(

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

shouldn't

Shouldn't one be able to view them with VNC or Flip4mac, or bring them in directly into imovie 08?

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^^

I don't know about iMovie '09, but with older iMovie's, they don't support .avi...

13. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

imove 09 doesn't h624 codec, but supports MJPG regarding .avi files, very aggervating, because I record in H624, but used to record in MJPG

Zym

14. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

ive been doing a handful of research and have been disappointed in the outcome.

i havent found a mini HD camcorder that just fits my needs.
    each one has its own flaws that are enough to turn me away from.
    the flip mino hd has no zoom and only 1 hr of record. plus the touch interface is too sensitive for my liking, the creative vado is very much the same as the flip hd, with better recordings (IMO) but lack of ease when trying to inport to imovie. the kodak model isnt very good, the aiptek falls into the same catagory as kodak (isnt very good) when it comes to color and lighting, and the new sony webbie...although it seems like it could be a golden ticket, has minor problems such as background noise from the camera itself.

i have since given up on finding a mini hd cam for now and will just add more money to my jar (which i hide from the miss) to get a canon vixia.

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

FYI, the flip mino hd does have a zoom on it.

16. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

my apologies. i dont think a 2x digital zoom is much of a zoom at all fyi.
    not saying it isnt impressive. because the flip mino hd is.
    the fact that im looking for a perfect solution, and right now one doesnt exist...for me.

17. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I'm also curious on this issue. I've narrowed it down to the Kodak, Creative, or Flip cameras for HD recording in a cell-phone sized camera. I don't need one now, I will in the summer though (3-4 months away) so should I wait?

Are any of these companies expected to release new models before summer?

18. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Wait!!

Yes, there are MANY new devices coming out in the next few months, many of which will have IMAGE STABILIZATION on the device, making them noticeably better at recording video.

Some coming in the next few weeks actually.

19. emdotdee macrumors regular

emdotdee

20. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Well, I needed to decide on one for a trip we are taking next week and the new vertical format Sony Webbie HD finally came out, so I got one. It is cheap enough that if something better comes out, I can upgrade and donate the Webbie to someone in the family that doesn't have one of these cameras at all. This version of the Webbie loses the optical zoom from the camcorder-looking one, but I like the form factor (more like the Flip Mino). It also works natively with iMovie '09, which puts it ahead of the Vado HD for me. When used outside, the picture looks pretty good in either 1080p or 720p mode when imported into iMovie.

21. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Can you give me an idea on what you're talking about, the ones that are going to include image stabilization and other features and when I should expect them?

Is Flip coming out with an upgraded MinoHD? So far I like their design the best and their usability with Mac's.

22. Kylereilly macrumors newbie

I've watched so many youtube videos and reviews online, and I really can't decide between the MinoHD and Vadu HD.

I like the Mino as it is easy to use with iMovie. With Vadu, do I just drag it into iMovie and wait for it to transcode, or is there something else I have to do?

Also, does anyone know if there are any more of those $100 off deals online anywhere?

Also, what the the models and When are these new ones coming out that have image stabilization???

What is the Best one, All Around?

23. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have both the Flip Mino HD and the Aiptek 1080HD +. The action HD looks to be similar with the addition of some stabilization features.

Over I probably carry the Aiptek with me a bit more often, because there are stills with flash as well as the HD video. To get stills with the Flip you have to essentially take frames of video. On the flip side ( i had to say that because ...ah never mind you get it) , you have a very small and sleek little video camera with great video. Also the flip software is top notch and makes it very simple to import and get your clips into iMovie etc. The flip really is tiny which means you can literally pocket it and go.

I would buy both upgrades of both products without hesitation. For my own needs I probably give a slight edge to the Aiptek because of the flash and stills right out of the camera.

24. raz32 macrumors newbie

Thinking of buying the Kodak Zx1 or Flip HD Mino (is there an upgrade due on this) - I know the flip works great with Imovie, but what about Final Cut? Also, with the Kodak, how does that work with Final Cut/Imovie, and even Avid. Any other advice? I just put my Panny PVGS120 up on ebay. Time to stop lugging that thing around. Thanks!!!

25. zulu2 macrumors newbie

I have the same dilemma - toshiba cameras are not listed on Apple's compatibility list, but if they create .mov files surely it should work...??? If you've bought it and it works, please let me know. Cheers