Which one for family video edits?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Makwak, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Makwak macrumors member

Which one should I pick?

Not for gaming just doing some family video edits.

The new rmbp 13" with 2.4 i5, 8gb ram and 256gb

Or

June 2012 cmbp 15" with 2.3 i7, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, gt 650m 512mb

Thanks

2. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Since no gaming, get the one with more ram and ssd - two items which greatly affect the video editing experience.

3. david401 macrumors member

If you're only using iMovie for family edits a cmbp will be more than enough. Maybe just get the Ram upgraded to 8gb. You can even have that done in-store if you get it from the apple store.

4. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

So you're telling him to get the slower machine with less ram, slower hard drive - and forget about a retina display - because he's using iMovie? :eek:

5. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Presumably there's a significant price difference between them. If that's not an issue, then sure, go faster and higher spec, but it probably won't result in the ability to produce better home movies with iMovie.

6. david401, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

david401 macrumors member

There's most likely a price difference and he'll have more storage. If he's only using iMovie he's not gonna be doing editing that requires an SSD.

The i7 will also destroy the dual core i5. Editing is very processor intensive.

7. Makwak thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input.

As my budget is between 1400-1600$ I have following opitions:

Either get brand new rmbp 13" or look at refurbished section in which case for similar amount of money I could get either cmbp 15" or even rmbp 15" from previous generation.

I am aware that cmbp gives more flexibility in terms of upgrade comparing to rmbp.

In my case the question is which hardware is the best value for the buck. Im quite kean on 13" but is the screen big enough for comfortable work or are the icons super small due to big resolution?

15" refurb rmbp seems very tempting but rumor has it there are some issues with it.

In the end of the day I might be able to resell the 13" easily if I find it too small.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it were me, I'd go with a refurb 15" rMBP or a new 13" rMBP. While the cMBP does offer some storage/port differences, I think the retina screen offsets those advantages.

The good thing about the 2012 15" rMBP is that you get both an integrated and discrete GPU.

9. Makwak thread starter macrumors member

I am tempted towards 2012 rmbp but what about the "issues" whatever they are that these retinas seem to suffer from?

Will I experience them ? Most of the use this laptop will get will be mainly web sometimes a movie and downloading the photos plus the video edits.

Also will the 8gb and 256gb storage be enough to do the videos? I presume it is possible to get bigger storage for it as a self or shop upgrade?

10. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Ok, first it's "only" iMovie, so the cMBP will do.
    Then it's because the i7 will destroy the i5, because editing is very processor intensive.

Make up your mind! ;)