Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brenda TN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
I can buy on Craiglist one of the 8g that someone got free for $140. I want to put on it only about 300 songs, maybe an audio book, maybe watch one movie at a time and erase (not sure on that) and some apps. I don't use the camera on my LG phone because I usually have a camera with me. Your opinion--would the older one suit me or will money be better spent and buy the new one. How low do you think the older ones will go for in a few weeks?

NJMetsHero

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
If that's all you need it for then it'll work. If you want to play games on it and do more processor intensive things then the new one would definitely be the way to go.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
If you are going to get an older model go for 32GB 3rd gen not an 8GB because it is basically 2 generations behind the current hardware configuration. Like the 1st gen basically became obsolete this year being left out of the 4.0 update I would expect the 2nd gen to become obsolete within the near future as well possibly even being excluded from iOS4.2 in November.

Another thing to consider is the fact that this years lineup of touch models are all the same generation leaving the low end 8GB iPhone 3GS as the only 480x320 resolution device still available. As that will disappear mid 2011 when the iPhone refresh comes around you could even see even the 3rd gen touch becoming obsolete within 8 months or so.

Personally for the sake of $70 I would try and stretch my budget to at least an 8GB new touch 4g, you then have peace of mind that you will get a good 2-3 years out of it before it becomes obsolete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.