Which one? I need help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by getatkyill, Jan 14, 2009.

1. getatkyill macrumors regular

I'm currently with T-Mobile and deciding to go back with the iPhone. I have used the iPhone 3G before on AT&T's network but their prices are outrageous. That being said, I have used the original iPhone 2G with T-Mobile before and loved it.

Now I have not obviously tried the iPhone 3G with T-Mobile and don't understand why some people are using the 3G over 2G if they have T-Mobile? Can someone please explain any differences between the phones as a T-Mobile customer.

I know that the iPhone 3G cannot work on T-Mobile's 3G network so it seems pointless unless I'm missing out on something? Basically which iPhone would I be better off with? Looks of the phone aren't a big deal.

Thank you so much in advance.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The phone has cosmetic changes, gps and that's about it asides from 3G that won't work. :( I have an iphone 3G on t-mobile and i love it.

3. getatkyill thread starter macrumors regular

Does GPS work with iPhone 3G since your using T-Mobile's network or does it require 3G to run?

I thought GPS was also on 2G through updates.

4. svndmvn Guest

No, GPS is more like a chip, which has been added to the 3g and it doesn't need data to work, you need data for Google Maps for now, and Edge is fine for that.
    The 2g had a SkyHook provided "map" that thanks to Cellular Antennas and WiFi spots found your location. The 3g has that and something more accurate as well.

5. getatkyill thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks for clearing that up.

I actually just remembered I have an line on my Mom's AT&T account, If I went to Apple and bought the iPhone 3G with that line then unlocked it for T-Mobile, that would work right?

Just makes sense and seems like I'd be saving a lot of money instead of buying them for ridiculous prices on craigslist or eBay.

Thanks in advance :)

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Yes, but you would still have to extend that line by two years if you want the subsidized price.

7. getatkyill thread starter macrumors regular

Basically that line would stay open for another two years? Thats fine considering its on a family plan.

Also would I be able to eliminate the iPhone 3G plan on that line after?

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

You might be able to. As long as the iphone isn't being used on that line you should be able to remove the data plan so the monthly payment is cheaper.

9. getatkyill thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I actually called Apple and they said it would be fine. But unfortunately my line isn't for upgrade so its going to be a lot more than I expected unless there is another way to find an iPhone 3G for cheaper but brand new :confused:

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

try craigslist.