Which one is best for autocad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by galstaph, May 1, 2007.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I am an architecture student and although i love my ibook, virtual pc just will not run fast enough to allow me to use autocad (damn autodesk for not making a version for mac). hence I need to run only ONE winblows program.
    My questions are:
    1. Will autocad work on parallels? or only boot camp?
    2. Which mac is the best for the job of running this program?
    I've been thinking about this for a while and I've come to the conclusion that although a gma950 will run autocad (at least in windows, I know this because the crappy toshiba laptops my school pushes have this integrated graphics crap), I feel that a dedicated chipset is better (unless the new one from intel excels very much). So I have determined I'd be looking at the following:
    iMac 20 or 24" (maybe 17) (like the computer, iMacs are very rounded)
    macbook pro 17" (like the portability, esp. after using my iBook as a primary for a year and a half)
    stripped down mac pro + display of some description (the sheer power and upgradability)
    I really don't want to use a macbook or 15" because more real estate is better for drafting.

Any suggestions on a setup/configuration from people with experience on this?
    (I plan to hopefully buy august or september, I know leopard is in october but i want to be able to use it for the start of school)

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Why not a 15" and an external screen? I've never used a Mac for Autocad though, can't answer that question.