Which one is best Parallel Desktop 7 or VMWare Fusion 4 for Web Designer?

paul-westperth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Before I buy one of those 2 software, I just want to know which one is best? I'm using MacBook (15-inch, 2.4 GHz, 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333MHz, 750GB 5400-rpm1). I feel that Parallels Desktop 7 is faster and the graphics are better than VMWare Fusion 4. Any suggestions?

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Before I buy one of those 2 software, I just want to know which one is best? I'm using MacBook (15-inch, 2.4 GHz, 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333MHz, 750GB 5400-rpm1). I feel that Parallels Desktop 7 is faster and the graphics are better than VMWare Fusion 4. Any suggestions?
Parallels 7 is what I am using.

I would seriously think about an inexpensive 3rd party ram upgrade up to 8 gb first before doing anything else. This would allow you to deploy a lot more ram in support of a windows virtual machine config regardless of which product you pick.

You can change the memory size of the virtual machine later but then for windows you will need to re-activate.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
Parallels 7 is what I am using.

I would seriously think about an inexpensive 3rd party ram upgrade up to 8 gb first before doing anything else. This would allow you to deploy a lot more ram in support of a windows virtual machine config regardless of which product you pick.

You can change the memory size of the virtual machine later but then for windows you will need to re-activate.
I agree 8Gb of ram is essential, from my research Parallels was the way to go - at least according to all the resources and opinions I read...

Works well but does really need 4Gb for it, and 4Gb for mac

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm running Parallels v6 (so v7 would be even better) and it's pretty solid. 2.3Ghz i7/quad, 8GB RAM, 7.2K HDD with my VM setup for 4GB.

I'm using Coherence mode mostly, where it puts the Winders© windows on the Mac desktop, even has a theme it can deploy that really blends them in aesthetically. All my Win7 system/notification icons are right up in the Mac menu bar, plus I have access to my start menu right from the top menu, or a folder on the dock.

I'm running VS2010 and a couple of DB tools (SQL Studio and EMS for Oracle), plus an instance of IIS and SQL or Oracle), along with all my native OSX apps I keep open like Mail, iCal, iTunes, and Chrome.

Easy resource sharing, and in full screen mode, I can easily access my "core" OSX apps from right within the Windows native start menu.

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Where is this "theme" you mention?

Thanks.

I'm running Parallels v6 (so v7 would be even better) and it's pretty solid. 2.3Ghz i7/quad, 8GB RAM, 7.2K HDD with my VM setup for 4GB.

I'm using Coherence mode mostly, where it puts the Winders© windows on the Mac desktop, even has a theme it can deploy that really blends them in aesthetically. All my Win7 system/notification icons are right up in the Mac menu bar, plus I have access to my start menu right from the top menu, or a folder on the dock.

I'm running VS2010 and a couple of DB tools (SQL Studio and EMS for Oracle), plus an instance of IIS and SQL or Oracle), along with all my native OSX apps I keep open like Mail, iCal, iTunes, and Chrome.

Easy resource sharing, and in full screen mode, I can easily access my "core" OSX apps from right within the Windows native start menu.

----------

Where is this "theme" you mention?

Thanks.

Never mind. Google is a wonderful and powerful search utility. Hanging my head in shame.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I just started using VM Fusion 4 and I'm happy with it so far. I didn't even know about Parallel...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.