Which one is best Parallel Desktop 7 or VMWare Fusion 4 for Web Designer?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by paul-westperth, Jan 17, 2012.

1. paul-westperth macrumors newbie

Before I buy one of those 2 software, I just want to know which one is best? I'm using MacBook (15-inch, 2.4 GHz, 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 4GB 1333MHz, 750GB 5400-rpm1). I feel that Parallels Desktop 7 is faster and the graphics are better than VMWare Fusion 4. Any suggestions?

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Parallels 7 is what I am using.

I would seriously think about an inexpensive 3rd party ram upgrade up to 8 gb first before doing anything else. This would allow you to deploy a lot more ram in support of a windows virtual machine config regardless of which product you pick.

You can change the memory size of the virtual machine later but then for windows you will need to re-activate.

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I agree 8Gb of ram is essential, from my research Parallels was the way to go - at least according to all the resources and opinions I read...

Works well but does really need 4Gb for it, and 4Gb for mac

4. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I'm running Parallels v6 (so v7 would be even better) and it's pretty solid. 2.3Ghz i7/quad, 8GB RAM, 7.2K HDD with my VM setup for 4GB.

I'm using Coherence mode mostly, where it puts the Winders© windows on the Mac desktop, even has a theme it can deploy that really blends them in aesthetically. All my Win7 system/notification icons are right up in the Mac menu bar, plus I have access to my start menu right from the top menu, or a folder on the dock.

I'm running VS2010 and a couple of DB tools (SQL Studio and EMS for Oracle), plus an instance of IIS and SQL or Oracle), along with all my native OSX apps I keep open like Mail, iCal, iTunes, and Chrome.

Easy resource sharing, and in full screen mode, I can easily access my "core" OSX apps from right within the Windows native start menu.

5. iFalcon macrumors regular

Where is this "theme" you mention?

Thanks.

----------

Never mind. Google is a wonderful and powerful search utility. Hanging my head in shame.

6. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I just started using VM Fusion 4 and I'm happy with it so far. I didn't even know about Parallel...

7. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Hahaha, no problem, it's not all that conspicuous :D (Also replied to your PM)