Which one is better as a gift?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cloud25, Oct 25, 2012.

1. cloud25 macrumors newbie

The holidays are coming up and I plan to purchase my mom and two siblings tablets. I'm deciding between the iPad Mini, Kindle Fire HD, and Nexus 7.

It really comes down to user-friendliness. I know iOS is probably the best in the market in this regard but I'm not sure if it warrants a $129 premium for each Mini. Anyone here have parents/kids that use a Kindle or Nexus? How do they fare against iOS for less "techie" people?

2. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

iPad mini.

My mom actually asked me what I think about it... just wow...

3. ME Nick macrumors member

ME Nick

My mother received a Kindle last christmas.
    Of course I was on the side of iPad.
    She used it consistently for a couple months, now it collects dust.
    She is also not that "techie", so I feel this comparison is worth something.
    Of course iOS is more user-friendly, but for a non-tech like my mom, she goes to what she knows.
    She has a select number of apps that she uses, and does not adventure to the store to find more.

So what I'm saying is that a kindle or Nexus will serve a non-techie type just fine.
    As it did with my mom.

4. MS2083 macrumors regular

5. aperry macrumors 6502a

Come on, what kind of response are you expecting from Macrumors forum members? No one here is going to recommend an Android based tablet over the mini. Around here you'll hear about the "build quality" and the app store, and then people will try to convince you that Apple's specs are magic and can't be compared to any other specs. You'll hear that the 1024X768 display is actually superior and then they'll quote some technical display-related terminology that no one really understands. They'll rattle off anecdotes about their mother/sister/uncle who bought an Android tablet or a Kindle and never used it again after two weeks, as if that alone should inform your decision.

Go to an Android forum and you'll get an earful about how expensive the mini is and how low-res the display is.

At the end of the day, just match up the tablet with the requirements of your family.

Aaron

6. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Nexus 7 has the best value and, in my opinion, Jellybean/ICS Android operating system is no more brain dead than iOS is. Really its not all that difficult to learn.

Kindle is probably the least interface friendly of the batch with its customized GUI. I have a Kindle Fire and its easy to use but if I were to compare it to the iPad and Xoom (running Jellybean) I would say iOS and Stock Android are definitely easier.

7. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Youre asking on a mac forum, so the common answer you're going to get is iPad mini. Which is fine. But you should give the tablet that will be most useful and compatible for each particular person. For instance, if your sibling has an Android phone, then get him/her the Nexus. If he/she has an iPhone or has purchases from the App Store, get the iPad mini. You don't want them to have to rebuy apps across different platforms. Maybe your mom has ebooks on a regular Kindle, so then get her the Kindle Fire (although you could use the Kindle app on any tablet).

If they don't have any of the above, then probably go for either the Nexus or iPad mini. The Nexus has much better hardware specs, but the iPad will have better user friendliness.

8. Karr271 macrumors regular

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

It depends how much u love these people. :D

Can't go wrong with iPad, all the cool kids want Apple. If an iPad is not friendly is because it can do so much more?

But I hear ya, you are not looking forward to spend the extra $129. Back to paragraph#1.