Which one is Better - Install & Archive or Clean Install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rocknpop, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rocknpop macrumors member

Guys, I'm a newbie, forgive my question but I just did an Install and Archive yesterday, but I don't know if I really should be doing a CLEAN INSTALL...

FACTS
    - I have an MB403LL/A (2.4GHz C2D, 2008 Early Peryn) which I use to make music with ProTools 8 LE and Reason 4.0.
    - Upgraded RAM from Corsair to OWC RAM (4GB)
    - Before the Install & Archive yesterday I was experiencing problems with Safari freezing up and not being able to relaunch. I believe this was due to the RAM, hence, I bought new and better RAM.
    - I could not boot up my MacBook one morning, so I trouble-shot it and the only thing I could do was Re-Install the OS X.
    - I did the Install & Archive with the OEM Samsung RAM and put in the OWC RAM AFTER that.

QUESTIONS
    - I would like to really have a fresh install of everything but not sure if there is much difference between the Clean Install and the Archive and Install? (I would just move the files I need to my external HD)
    - With the Clean Install - will I be bringing my MacBook back to where it was fresh from the factory?
    -----> Should I buy the AppleCare for it? I was thinking of upgrading but there is not much difference in performance to what I have... 2.4 C2D at 4GB RAM...

2. celticpride678

- I would like to really have a fresh install of everything but not sure if there is much difference between the Clean Install and the Archive and Install? (I would just move the files I need to my external HD)

A. Clean Install removes EVERYTHING- Files, Settings, Applications and System Files.

- With the Clean Install - will I be bringing my MacBook back to w
    here it was fresh from the factory?

A. Yes. EVERYTHING will be removed and only the system files will be reinstalled automatically.

-----> Should I buy the AppleCare for it? I was thinking of upgrading but there is not much difference in performance to what I have... 2.4 C2D at 4GB RAM...

A. Start a new thread for this.

3. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Nothing beats the snappiness of a clean install.;)

4. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Your mac pro beats the snappiness of a clean install :p

5. devburke Guest

I like a clean install, but it is more work to reconfigure your settings and everything. As for AppleCare, I'd definitely recommend it, especially for a notebook.