Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
13" retina display base model or new iMac 21.5 base model. Which one will last longer?

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
13" retina display base model or new iMac 21.5 base model. Which one will last longer?

If you need something portable then you should get the notebook. If you are going to be using it at your desk at home all the time than the iMac would be the better choice, as it has a better GPU and processor.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
If you need something portable then you should get the notebook. If you are going to be using it at your desk at home all the time than the iMac would be the better choice, as it has a better GPU and processor.

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011

The 13" rMBP is going to fit in your computer bag a lot easier. I think the specs on the 21.5" are kind of anemic. You get less screen resolution and you're stuck with a mechanical hard drive too. I'd rather have the portability and the higher resolution screen. I think retina is the future.

De5

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
I think the iMac would last longer. Simply because you're not really gonna be constantly moving it, nor is there a chance to drop it or anything. If you have a drink by your macbook, and spill, you're done. If its on a keyboard, just go get another keyboard ;).

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Did I miss the part where the OP told us what he needs to do with the computer?

If you need something portable, you obviously can't go with the iMac. On the other hand, if you need more than 128GB of internal storage, the 13" rMBP isn't going to work for you.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I think the iMac would last longer. Simply because you're not really gonna be constantly moving it, nor is there a chance to drop it or anything. If you have a drink by your macbook, and spill, you're done. If its on a keyboard, just go get another keyboard ;).

Well, I did see people drinking over their desktops too... I wouldn't necessarily call it much safer, it really depends on the person ( he can still knock it over and have the thing smash to the ground you know ). :)

I doubt anyone can properly estimate the life expectancy of either machines... instead of wasting time thinking about it, why not try to define your needs first? Do you care about portability? Do you care about a larger screen? Do you own a table at all? :) Once you can answer these and similar questions, I think the choice will be quite an obvious one.

De5

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
well, i did see people drinking over their desktops too... I wouldn't necessarily call it much safer, it really depends on the person ( he can still knock it over and have the thing smash to the ground you know ). :)

i doubt anyone can properly estimate the life expectancy of either machines... Instead of wasting time thinking about it, why not try to define your needs first? Do you care about portability? Do you care about a larger screen? Do you own a table at all? :) once you can answer these and similar questions, i think the choice will be quite an obvious one.

+1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.