Which one is more powerful

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drask, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Drask macrumors regular

Simple question, which one is an overall more powerful computer.

iMac 27" 2011 (entry model) vs retina Macbook pro 13" 2013 (entry level).

Forget about SSD, RAM, etc, I mean purely CPU and GPU.

2. Benk3350 macrumors member

the iMac is much more powerful.

The iMac has a desktop i5 CPU, which is a quad core and much more powerful. the 13" base is a dual core i5.

The iMac also has a dedicated GPU, the GT 755M whereas the macbook has the integrated one (Iris). The base model GPU on the iMac is more powerful than even the highest end GPU on the highest end 15" macbook pro.

The base model macbook pro is still a fairly powerful machine, but the iMac is still way more powerful.

3. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

Do you have the iMac and thinking of purchasing the rMBP?

I have the i7 2011 iMac and a rMBP.

They are 2 different animals. Sometimes I think people use Power and User experience interchangeably.

The iMac has a better user experience (to me) hands down. Large screen, has more computing power, separate mouse and keyboard .... its a desktop

The rMBP feels snappier due to the SDD and is quicker to boot and open programs, it is portable and has a beautiful screen. Is it more powerful, no. Your comparing a low voltage dual core mobile processor to a desktop processor.

However your not going to take the iMac to work with you or put it on your lap while your watching TV. Im also not going to set a 13in rMBP on my desk and use it as a main machine when I have my iMac right here.

4. Drask, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Drask thread starter macrumors regular

You mention the 755M GPU, As I said, the iMac is the 2011 model, with a 6770M 512 MB

Yes, that's the idea. I have a more poweful laptop (i7 4600k, 770M, 512 SSD) But it's quite big and heavy I would like to set that one as a desktop replacement and get a 13" macbook for a more mobile device. For that, I would have to sell the iMac.

5. leman macrumors 604

Well, lets look at the benchmarks.

CPU (according to geekbench3):

2011 iMac - 2390 single-core, 6857 -multi-core
    2013 13" rMBP - 2952 single-core, 6295 -multi-core

GPU:

HD5100 appears to be slightly faster than the 6750M

Overall - they should be around the same performance-wise, give or take