Which one is worth upgrading: CAPACITY or GRAPHICS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goldfrapp, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I know they're totally different. I just can't decide which one would be more important to me.

2. falcora macrumors 6502

I can't believe that the base is just 256 GB. Back in 2012 when the 15" rMBP first came out, I bought that. I had to sell it a year later for the 2nd gen because 256 GB is awful. It means that you can hardly store any media on your computer, few applications. It's also very difficult to use the computer for pro apps, since most of those require a lot of storage (design, video editing, music production, software development, etc). If you have to pick between the two, upgrade the storage for sure.

3. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

This was really the only unexpected part of the keynote for me, aside from the BS 30min add for Apple TV (wtf?!). I didn't expect anything to change drastically aside from the function keys, and I knew the prices were going up. They're actually in line with the Surface Book. But I was surprised they didn't bump entry level storage. That would have been very cool.

4. fs454 macrumors 68000

Isn't graphics only a $90 upgrade? Get both, you will not regret the $90 spent over the next 3+ years of use to get a non-gimped version of an already very mid range chip.

5. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

What kind of battery hit do you get going discrete though?

6. DatzKray macrumors member

I went with both the 500 gb and 460 on my purchase for the 15'

7. falcora macrumors 6502

The 450 is already a discrete chip. If it is setup the same way as previous 15" MBP models, the system dynamically changes from the integrated graphics and the discrete graphics depending on what you are doing.