Which one?! MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madbad01, Jun 30, 2008.

1. madbad01 macrumors member

Hi Mac enthusiasts,

So I'm in my last year at school and then off to college in London and I need a laptop. Right now I have a 24" Aluminum iMac 2.4GHz and I'm thinking about a MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz.

My iTunes folder is over 230GB and growing so I know a HD upgrade may be in order. I'm totally anal about everything matching so that's why a MacBook or a black Macbook are what I'm considering. I've got an iPhone but I'm waiting for a black iPhone 3G. Everything needs to be black and silver! :D

Anyway, I use my Mac for a lot of emailing, internet and a ton of DVD watching and iTunes video playback while I work. I also use iWork '08 a bunch plus a little light video editing in iMovie and iDVD. I don't move my laptop much outside my house because at school I use my iPhone to email homework, assignments etc. to myself (looking forward to MobileMe!).

Which should I go for? A black MacBook or a MacBook Pro?!

All opinions are appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

In your situation, I'd probably save a little money and go with the black MacBook but that's just me personally. The MacBook Pro is an amazing machine and will essentially pack all of the power that you currently have in your iMac into a smaller package.

All-in-all I think the MacBook will suit your needs but you can't overlook the power of a MacBook Pro if you don't mind nearly doubling the price.

Hope this helps.

3. crobbins macrumors 6502

I would say the black MacBook would easily fit your needs. It is a powerful little machine that shouldn't be overlooked. That being said, there is something about the MacBook Pro that I and many others here seem to like, obviously :). I love that it is only .4 lbs heavier but has a 15.4 inch display instead of a 13.3. Perhaps go in the Apple Store and look at each one then figure out which one you clearly like the most and remember..which one you can afford for sure!

4. Woot1289 macrumors newbie

Well if you need the portable hard drive space, get a mbp, but if you can leave your music at home, I would say get the mb.

5. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

Well, with 230gb of music, it doesn't sound like you'll be doing much work at all. :p

Speaking of which, I would say it's best to get the black macbook, and an external if possible. If you only listen to maybe 50% of the music all the time, keep that 50% on your macbook, and all of your music on the external. Create 2 different iTunes libraries, so you can switch between them if you're at home or not. It works for me :D

Other than HDD space, a black macbook won't steer you wrong.

And by the way, use the saved money to buy an Applecare warranty. I just got the bad news that I have to replace my logic board, and my 1 year warranty ran up 4 weeks ago -_-

6. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

7. TSE macrumors 68030

I would get the Black MacBook, and possibly get a 500GB Internal Hard Drive for it from a third party seller. You already have the graphics capability with the iMac, and the MacBook will save you money, and is smaller and easier to transport to places.

The MacBook Pro is nice, but it is more made for someone who doesn't want to have more then one computer and needs portability and decent graphics.