which one? Momentus/Travelstar - Best internal HDD for Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mpulsive81, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

My factory HDD just died so i'm looking for a replacment internal drive. Reliability is a big factor and performance being one as well.

I've looked at the Seagate momentus 120Gb 7200rpm and like the speed but i'm worried about getting a Seagate after my factory 60gb seagate died.

I also heard good things about the Hitachi TravelStar and found a 160gb 5400rpm for a decent price.

Another concern is heat w/ the 7200 vs the 5400. Is the speed increase worth the increase in heat, if any? I'd like the speed boost if it wouldn't cause much of an issue. Any experiences with either? 60gb just wasn't enough for me and i was planning on upgrading....now i find myself needing a hdd to get my machine running. *NOT* the way I was anticipating getting the replacement :p

2. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

No problems with heat or battery life with the TravelStar 7K2 200GB in my MacBook, but substantial speed gains.

3. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i've heard good things about the travelstar....like I said, i'm just really leary of Seagate now that I lost all my data this weekend. Then again, if I still had my backup cd of all my stuff, i probably wouldn't have felt so burned the first time a HDD went out on me.

4. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know there are others who've had experiences with either an aftermarket seagate or travelstar...help please :confused:

5. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

which one? Momentus/Travelstar - Best internal HDD for Macbook

Mostly, I think, this is a matter of personal preference.

In my experience I've had problems with WD, and Seagate.

Three years ago I started buying Hitachi drives. They make the TravelStar line.

I have never had any problem with an Hitachi drive. They're all still running from my first purchase of them in 2004, or maybe 2003.

A note of information. A hard drive is most likely to fail when it's powered up. I do not shut down my Mac overnight.