Which one of these Hard Drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xJulianx, May 4, 2007.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

So the time has come that my 80GB HD in my MacBook just isn't big enough for my ever expanding music, photo and video collection. I have already taken the initiative and bought myself an enclosure to put the 80GB HD into so I can use it as an external.

Anyway, I have (I think) made my mind up on the largest 5400RPM HD I can get, which to my knowledge is 160GB.

I have found these two on eBay, both are from fairly reputable brands but have about a £15 price difference when shipping is accounted for. Just wondering on your opinions on the drives as this is a lot of money to me and I want to get it right first time.

Western Digital HD

Samsung HD

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I would go with the Western Digital they have always been a trustworthy company and I have never had a problem with any of their products.

3. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Okay thanks.

I've been thinking further on space/speed. Are the 4200RPM drives really much slower? I really want as much space as I can get in my MacBook but don't want to cripple myself speed wise.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, but only when empty... When filled with more than 74 GB the pictures is somewhat different... and you do plan to have something on that disk, right...? ;)

See this link from this thread...

I have the 200 GB @ 4200 Toshiba in my MacBook and are very pleased with it... :)

5. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

Even though its not in a Macbook, i just recently bought the 160 GB for my Powerbook. I'm not really into checking into hard drive manufacturers since i only go through a few every 3-4 years, but from what ive experienced its pretty much the same, aside from warrenties. Segate boasts a 5 year warrenty.

6. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Okay, I think I'm pretty set on that 200GB Toshiba you showed me Mitthrawnuruodo, those bench marks are certainly pleasing to see.

I have found for drive for £100 inc tax and delivery. Quite a lot of money to me but I think it's going to be worth it. Thanks for all the help everyone.